Anamorphic Ghosting / Fringing

Paul Goodyear

Hello people,

I am a relatively new anamorphic shooter. I just got a GH4, a Sankor 16F, and a Rangefinder. First off, it's great. There are two main lenses I am using. A Rokinon 85mm T1.5 and an old Yashica 50mm F/2. But shooting some tests today I encountered this.Untitled_1.2.1.thumb.jpg.689282fdbe9bf73

Around the phone you can see strong "ghosting". This was on the 85mm at T2.8. The 85mm should have far superior optics to the 50mm, but here is a shot from the 50mm.Untitled_1.13.1.thumb.jpg.ccd5272bd6e05a

But there is no ghosting on this shot, or any shot I've taken with the 50mm. So, I have no idea what is going on. I did a few more tests with the 85mm.

Untitled_1.14.1.thumb.jpg.f5d823277b014e

Above - 85mm at T1.5

Untitled_1.15.1.thumb.jpg.be3dc5c03782a3

Above - 85mm at T1.5

Untitled_1.16.1.thumb.jpg.752469b3d0c8bc

Above 85mm at T2.8

And just for kicks and giggles here is another from the 50mm at about F/5

Untitled_1.12.1.thumb.jpg.817d6fe00d5fb9

None of these shots have any sharpening applied to them. I also tried using it with a crappy old 135mm F/3.5. There was a little ghosting on that one, but was completely gone after stopping down to F/5.6. On the 135mm I am assuming the ghosting comes from the poor optics (it also ghosts when not used anamorphic). But I have no explanation for why the 85mm does. The only thing I can assume is that it does this because of the front diameter. The Rokinon has a 72mm filter thread and both the Yashica and the crappy 135mm lens have a 52mm front thread mount. Have any of you all experienced this before? And if so, do you know how to solve it? I would like to know before I go out and buy another 85mm.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think it's "saggital coma" which an artefact in some lenses when used at their widest, though I could be mistaken.

if you don't like it you'll have to only use the 85 closed down, or find another 85 that doesn't exhibit this with your particular anamorphic lens.

or use it intentionally as a kind of romantic softening for portraits

Anamorphic lenses actually work better when used with older, simpler, smaller optics. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the bigger and shinier the prime lens is, the crapper the anamorphic generally looks. This is why you don't see many people screw a Kowa to, say, a Canon L-series. It would look abysmal. This is why your 50 and your 135 look good, they are old, crappy lenses, whereas the Rokinon is a brand new lens, with a much larger optic.

My advice is to get a vintage 85mm. Something tiny, and preferably radioactive. It'll make your anamorphic sing.

Have you tried with & without the Rangefinder?

How about a wider shot with the 85mm, does it still behave like this?

Also, try stopping down to T4 - I seem to remember that the Sankor's aren't the sharpest & their optimal T stop is about 4-5.6ish. When doing a close-up, like your examples, I have encountered this with a lens that is soft wide open or close to wide open.

The only other thing that I can say is that some lenses just don't pair well with certain anamorphics. If your lens is ok without the Sankor, then they just don't pair well - most of these anamorphic attachments prefer simple lens designs.

Anamorphic lenses actually work better when used with older, simpler, smaller optics. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the bigger and shinier the prime lens is, the crapper the anamorphic generally looks. This is why you don't see many people screw a Kowa to, say, a Canon L-series. It would look abysmal. This is why your 50 and your 135 look good, they are old, crappy lenses, whereas the Rokinon is a brand new lens, with a much larger optic.

My advice is to get a vintage 85mm. Something tiny, and preferably radioactive. It'll make your anamorphic sing.

I just got a set of old Russian nuclear lenses for this exact reason.

You can actually find them NEW on ebay because millions were made, and for 30-50 £

The only downside is I've grown a few extra fingers, but it makes focus pulling easier.

After some more tests. The rangefinder does introduce chromatic aberration, but after watching and studying some anamorphic films, it seems that is common of almost all true anamorphic lenses too (maybe the fact that there is a focusing element makes CA). But anyway, yeah, it seems the "ghosting" is just due to the fact that it is new and large glass. I am looking at getting a Jupiter 9, but does anyone have any other options that are EF compatible for the 85mm focal length that are cheaper?

If you want to try something akward but which could give you the best quality possible, find a bronica nikkor-p 80 2.8, the back diameter of your sankor should match the front lens exactly. This lens has no helicoid and there are no adapters available, but since you have the rangefinder you could find some hardcore hot glue solution (gluing some extension tube to the lens).

No, the smear isn't due to the rangefinder. The rangefinder adds CA, but nothing else. I guess the 85mm T1.5 just doesn't pair well. Thanks for the tip on the olympus lens. I totally forgot OM was EF adaptable.

ps.  the earlier 85mm/2 zuiko lenses are available in 'non MC' versions.  or at the very least they're not marked as 'MC' meaning the coating quality probably isn;t as refined as a later MC version.  Personally I'd select the non MC version to match the older coatings on your sankor:)

it would appear the 'silver nose' version is the older one.  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Excellent-Olympus-OM-F-Zuiko-Auto-T-85mm-f-2-from-JAPAN-109-/272022055907?hash=item3f55c72be3:g:A8IAAOSwo0JWH5x-  coatings are brozy rather than blue/purple/green