Samyang reveal 24mm F1.4 availability, price and sample images

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/samyang-24mm-sample-1.jpg[/img]

UPDATE: The lens is now available from Samyang’s international dealer based in Poland. [url="http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5574929666&toolid=10001&campid=5336727214&customid=&icep_item=330681926543&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg"]Buy it now[/url][img]http://rover.ebay.com/roverimp/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&pub=5574929666&toolid=10001&campid=5336727214&customid=&item=330681926543&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER][/img]

The new full frame Samyang 25mm F1.4 ED AS UMC will be released in the first week of February according to Samyang’s official Facebook page, where the first samples images have also been posted.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/6965/samyang-reveal-24mm-f1-4-availability-and-pricing-sample-images/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
[quote author=Chris Mann link=topic=216.msg1497#msg1497 date=1327509847]
Looks like an interesting lens.

However the Sigma 24mm F1.8 sells for £429, is also full-frame compatible, and gets you AF if you want it, with only a slightly slower maximum aperture.

I have one and it's a nice lens.
[/quote]

I have that as well, it is very good for the money. Often they can be picked up around £250 second hand as well. Bargain.

It will be interesting to compare the two. The sharpness of Samyang's 35mm F1.4 was astounding wide open. The Sigma is pretty soft in comparison.

• Administrators
[quote author=P4INKiller link=topic=216.msg1498#msg1498 date=1327509876]
Sexy!

Wonder how it would hold up against the Panaleica 25mm, optically.
I'd much rather go for this along with an adapter.
[/quote]

Not really an apples to apples comparison here. The Leica is for a crop sensor, the Samyang is for full frame. If you plan to use it only on the GH2 there are better alternatives around, like that Leica Lumix and the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95

Only on full frame is the 'fast wide' look with this lens doable, and that makes it worth buying - as a true wide angle, not as a portrait equivalent on the GH2.

Awesome.  Great focal length for m4/3's ie around 48mm/50mm - do it all length.  Great place for videographers to start.  Friend has the 85mm on a GH2 for tight crops - and wow its great for the cash.

I bet it will be sharper than the voigtlander (obviously not as fast), panny, and Nikon/Zeiss (wasn't impressed with the 25mm Zeiss I rented apart from great color). 

The only question is the bokeh look.  Min focus distance is around 10 inches - not as good as the voigtlaner but again this lens is $400 less.  $800 is a bit much I think for many people to spend on this unless it really is as sharp as I think it might be.  BHphoto might sell this or the Bower version for less perhaps.

If I didn't have the voigtlander I would get this. 

Great news!

Update:  Wow!  Just read the following:  "It should be noted that 4 lenses has been made of the low-dispersion glass (ED), while two another are aspheric lenses." 

Nice!  Thats why it is slightly pricey.

• Administrators
Of the Zeiss glass, the 25mm was a rare mediocre lens but to be honest for the price on eBay it is great.

I really am not that convinced about using expensive full frame wide angle glass solely on the GH2.

It can only be truly useful for those who have full frame (or plan to buy one in the future) and a crop sensor camera like the GH2.

If you only plan to use your lenses on the GH2, the Leica/Voigtlander will be just as good, and more compact.

PS, Sara... I'll let you in on a secret. Panasonic provide 90% of the Aspherical elements in worldwide lens production  8)

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=216.msg1502#msg1502 date=1327512770]
[quote author=P4INKiller link=topic=216.msg1498#msg1498 date=1327509876]
Sexy!

Wonder how it would hold up against the Panaleica 25mm, optically.
I'd much rather go for this along with an adapter.
[/quote]

Not really an apples to apples comparison here. The Leica is for a crop sensor, the Samyang is for full frame. If you plan to use it only on the GH2 there are better alternatives around, like that Leica Lumix and the Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95

Only on full frame is the 'fast wide' look with this lens doable, and that makes it worth buying - as a true wide angle, not as a portrait equivalent on the GH2.
[/quote]
Yes I'm well aware.
I was thinking that it would be useful for my larger sensor DSLRs as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
[quote author=jimmiesner link=topic=216.msg1620#msg1620 date=1328310633]
When this lens comes out it would be great to see a comparison between it and the Nokton 25mm.

Jim
[/quote]

Chalk and cheese mate.

The Nokton is not a full frame 24mm wide angle. It is a characterful and beautifully built super fast F0.95 portrait lens for the GH2. The Samyang is a crisp, sharp (hopefully) fast wide angle for full frame, suited to low light landscapes and run & gun.

• 2 months later...
Andrew, what's your experience with lens breathing on the 24mm? I have the 35mm and have used it on full frame and don't want to use it for pulling focus. I think its much more forgiving on cropped sensor, especially m4/3. Have they resolved the breathing issue or has it carried on to their 24mm as well?

Cheers,
~ Sightfulprod