Which ND filter for my 14-140 and SLR Magic 12mm f1.6?

PatrickV

Hi guys,

I'm the owner of a GH2 with a 14-140 mm lens of Panasonic. I'm planning to buy a SLR Magic 12mm f1.6 lens.

I haven't got a ND filter yet. Which ND filter do i have to buy and which step-up ring in order to use the filter at both lenses?

I hope you guys can advice me.

Greetings,
Patrick

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I use Tiffen 0.6ND and 0.9ND filters. They're good quality at a reasonable price. I also use a variable ND filter. The better vari nd filters like Heliopan are very expensive. Cheaper ones are still expensive and may soften the image and may cause the 12mm to vingnette. Also most vari nd's won't let you fit a lens hood.
I find the tiffen 0.9ND to be great for outdoors on a bright but cloudy day. You'll need more nd for bright sunny days. I try and avoid step up -down filter adapters. I always loose them - instead I have a 52mm 0.9 ND for my 14-42mm and a 46mm 0.9 ND for my 20mm f1.7.

If you check amazon for the filters, they show you the step up- down adapters as accessories.

This is something I've been wondering about too. If you look on Amazon you'll see a dizzing array of variable ND filters out there and the price seems to vary widely. I've seen them for as low as $10 all the way up to $200 and there's nothing in the information that I could find to give any indication what separates them. It would be great if they at least listed "Glass" or "Plastic" or something. Anyway, have any of you guys used any of the lower cost ones in the $20-$40 range?

[quote name='PatrickV' timestamp='1347008128' post='17505']
Thanks for your advice guys. The Tiffen is a bit too expensive for me.

Is this combination also an option for me?

Light Craft Fader ND Filter Mark II 62 mm
Visico Filter-Adapter 58mm - 62mm
[/quote]
I've never used the Light Craft Fader ND but I've heard good things about it. I use a Genus and it's good but if you pixel peep it does soften the shot a bit. Best variable nd filter for the price? Who really knows. You really do get what you pay for with filters.
http://philipbloom.net/2011/06/04/the-best-variable-nd-filter-i-have-used/

The visico filter adapter should be fine. Step up and down filter adapters are pretty simple and inexpensive items so I wouldn't worry.

One thing you might want to consider when purchasing is getting hold of a set of filter wrenches because sometimes it's almost impossible to remove the adapter to then use the vari nd on another lens. I know it sounds odd but grease from your face (side of your nose) - applied to the threads of the filters and adapter help them not to stick. Simply swipe your finger across the side of your nose and run it around the threads of the filter. Strange but true.
http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Filter-Wrench-Review.aspx