Heart of Coppola

jhnkng

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
That was a great video. And yeah, loved the last quote!

[color=#333333][font='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]“To me the great hope is that now these little 8mm, video recorders and stuff that are coming out... Just people that wouldn’t normally make movies are gonna be making them, and, you know... Suddenly, one day, some little fat girl in Ohio i[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font='lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
s gonna be the new Mozart, you know, and make a beautiful film with her little father’s camera recorder and for once this so called professionalism about movies will be destroyed forever and it will become an art form... That’s my opinion.”[/size][/font][/color]

Let me quote those last words:

[quote name='Coppola']

[font=Helvetica][size=3]... for once the so-called professionalism about movies will be destroyed forever and it will become an art form.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

He is not talking about any technical issue. What he predicted became reality at once. With Super 8 cameras and later home video. There were artists, driven by the need to express themselves, who took these simple, so called 'unprofessional' means without glancing at what 'the industry' did with their millions.

To an artist, the comparison of consumer cameras to professional cameras is of little interest. [i]Ars gratia artis[/i] (pompous MGM phrase). A real indie doesn't need comparison. If I have to say something, I don't care about if it meets technical specs. If all I want to do is identify myself with the achievements of others, I am pretentious:

[quote name='Coppola']

[font=Helvetica][size=3]Nothing is so terrible as a pretentious movie[/size][/font]
[/quote]

BTW: Great film, I prefer the original cut. One good argument for the use of true anamorphic lenses:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/technical

You see the typical lens flares and the funny looking focus transitions very often. What you also see in the specs: Shot in 35 mm, but published in 70 mm. Nobody ever complained about inappropriately low resolution ...