Jump to content

mercer

Members
  • Posts

    7,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mercer

  1. mercer

    Lenses

    @BTM_Pix since this may be the least visited sub-forum on the site, it’s very likely we may have all the votes in, especially on a Saturday.
  2. mercer

    Lenses

    @BTM_Pix great little test thanks. Actually, it’s amazing how different lenses, become less than different in a controlled test... granted I am looking at these on my phone but even still, I would have suspected a greater difference between all of the lenses. With that being said, E was the clear winner for me in every category except close focus where C was my favorite. But E came in second and A was the solid third best imo in every category.
  3. mercer

    Lenses

    Well... I have an eos-m... had it for years but a couple months ago I charged the battery and it wouldn’t power on... I’m hoping it just needs a new battery because I’d love to try out the 35mm 1.2 7artisans with ML Raw.
  4. mercer

    Lenses

    That’s true, but most films are being shot on cameras that rarely go over 1600 ISO. Plus there are characteristics in a 1.2 lens, shot wide open, that just cannot be replicated. But as a whole I agree with your point. Even during magic hour, with my Canon FD 50mm, I was able to shoot at 1.4/2 at ISO 100/200... but I’ve pretty much stopped exposing to the right... so YMMV. I’m just jealous I don’t have a camera I can use a 7artisans with. I wish they made EF lenses.
  5. mercer

    Lenses

    You and your 7artisans.
  6. mercer

    Lenses

    Oh I want the test, in fact, after seeing your subjects, I am even more intrigued... I have that Jena Tessar and I was going to bring out with me on my next shooting day. I used to love that lens but haven’t been able to find a sample that didn’t have a busted aperture. My predictions are... • the Nikkor should mop the floor based on pure lens IQ... but... • the Helios will have that je ne sais quoi. • the Zeiss Planar will be perfectly... adequate and... • the Tessar “eagle eye” will be the surprise sleeper of the bunch. The net positive of f/1.2 lenses is stopping them down to f/2 to get a near perfect lens. Plus, it’s my understanding that a lot of films are being shot with available and/or minimal lighting, a 1.2 lens can be an invaluable tool in such circumstances.
  7. mercer

    Lenses

    It does sound like a job for that. Although I am fairly sure that you will post some amazing sample from some cheap, boring sounding lens and throw everybody off guard... or you’ll post samples from an amazing 50mm lens that won’t adapt to EF. I am just entering the selling phase of my recent lens tests and I’m still a little undecided on 50mm lenses. I almost feel like I need one more nifty fifty to round out my lens “sets.”
  8. mercer

    Lenses

    The funny thing is, I was searching that same exact topic when you posted that video. So, what is the best vintage 50mm lens? I am kinda obsessed with the focal length on FF, and there are so many great 50mm lenses out there. So far, my two favorites are the Canon FD 50mm 1.2 L and the Nikkor 50mm f/2... two diametrically opposed lenses. I also really enjoy the Rollei Zeiss 50mm 1.8 and although not a vintage lens, the Zeiss “Classic” 50mm 1.4 ZF is an interesting lens with a buttload of character wide open with great micro contrast stopped down a little. What does everybody else like?
  9. Beautiful image! This is why I can’t move on from ML Raw.
  10. It’s my understanding it’s better. Some people are using it as b-cam for their C100. What sub-$500 camera has detailed wides and is great in lowlight?
  11. This little camera is really starting to look appealing now that they are regularly selling for under $500. Eugenia did a great job with it in this video...
  12. mercer

    G7 in 2019

    Most cameras are more expensive than a used G7. I don’t know if the CineLikeD hack works with the GX850, but maybe that’s an option... @BTM_Pix ? I had a G7, a GX85 and a G85, and if I were to go back to Panasonic, at that price range, I’d go with the G85. In fact, if I were @Shell64 , I’d consider selling my G7, buying a G85 and getting a GX85 as my B-Cam. Good deal... now use the profit from a GH4 sale, to help fund the GH5.
  13. mercer

    G7 in 2019

    Or the LX100... or the GX85... What lens(es) do you use with your G7 and what type of stuff do you shoot?
  14. mercer

    G7 in 2019

    Maybe the FZ1000.
  15. mercer

    Lenses

    Here’s one from my new favorite lens...
  16. mercer

    G7 in 2019

    It’s really easy for me to spend your money but at the end of the day, you are getting SOO much more with a gh5 for about double what you’d pay for a gh4 and like you said, at $1000 used... it’s not that much money but in the end think of the headaches you’re saving going with the gh5. Compared to the GH5? Well, you get the beefy 1080p and 4K codec (which meets all of the requirements for a Netflix production), IBIS, waveform monitor, LUT viewing, the newer color science, 10bit internal, 6K Anamorphic...
  17. mercer

    G7 in 2019

    The problem with the cheaper Panasonic cameras are that they are all crippled and with the GH5 being so cheap, I think it’s probably worth the price difference to get the extra features.
  18. You can get VLogL for it. It would probably work great with Sage’s GHAlexa LUTS.
  19. Well the GH4 is a 5 year old camera that was $1500 at release. And the FZ2500 is a 3 year old camera that was $1200 at release. I just don’t understand why the newer sub-$1000 cameras, with IBIS, do not have better 1080p?! With that being said, the FZ2500 is one of my all time favorite cameras. I have a search on eBay saved and will buy another one once I can find one for the right price. The 200mbps all-i is beautiful in that camera and it does 10bit 1080p externally. Idk, all-i codecs seem to have a thicker image and better motion than intraframe codecs.
  20. Love your work, Panny!!! Do you know how the .mov all-i codec on the GH3 is? I still can’t believe you have to buy a GH5 to get the all-i codec from Panasonic... all of these sub-$1000 Panasonic cameras should have all-i 1080p.
  21. You’ll always get the best image shooting at the native iso with BM cameras... CDNG, Braw, or ProRes.
  22. Reread my comment. I didn’t say that those companies released 4K TVs too soon, I said they released 4K video recording in their cameras too soon. Just my opinion.
  23. He has $500... so to me the obvious choice is a 5D Mark ii and ML Raw.
  24. Yeah, it seems that way. It looks great... although I have had my first camera freeze ever since I switched to this build. It’s nothing that a power off/on doesn’t cure, though... so no big deal.
×
×
  • Create New...