SLR Magic 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter

miketurner

Hey guys!

I just saw Andrew had posted a new article on the Samsung NX1 and briefly touched upon the SLR Magic 77mm Variable ND filter which is on sale: http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-77mm-04-18-variable-nd-filter.html

I haven't had a chance to spend much time on forums/newsites related to photography/videography over the past few months, so it's possible I missed all discussions on it here and on the other forums.. I did a quick search on here which came up empty.. but I wondered if any of you had any experiences/reviews on this ND filter.  And how it possibly compares to the Tiffen VND, Tiffen IRVND, and the more expensive ones like the Heliopan. 

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I am going to do a full comparison of it vs the Heliopan, which is the current best performing one.

So far I am very impressed. Love the hard stops, it is sharp and doesn't seem to have any colour shift.

But as I've only shot with it once (in Lisbon) will need to do a more scientific test before I can bring you any further opinions. Anyone else got one? Feel free to chime in!

Hey Andrew!

I appreciate the response! :)

Oh I'm looking forward to that, since I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on the Heliopan one (bit more than I'd like to spend since I need 2-3, but no doubt worth it).  Before I knew better, I picked up a few cheap variable NDs on eBay and well.. they obviously totally sucked and went in the bin.  I mainly do indoor corporate shoots so an ND hasn't really been an essential piece of kit for me yet.  However, next year I will have outdoor shoots, so I'm looking to buy a couple in advance.  

I check your blog regularly, so I'll look out for that comparison! :)

• 1 month later...

Hi! Any tests? ) Can`t wait to see  how good slr magic variND in terms of IR polution and color shift. I try to decide which one to buy:  hoya pro nd 16 and 4, or this variable nd filter. As i know tiffen variND  is not good with blackmagic cameras, not sharp,  have red color cast  e.t.c... So i wish to see how good this new magic SLR variND.. Can`t find any tests...

Thanks