Which are your favorite color profiles for your DSLR?

Dan Wake

Hello, I'm tryng to find new color profiles because in-camera color profile is a nice point to star for creativity. 

I use vision color profiles, and cinestyle, I wish to ask to you if you have created some by yourself or there is something new around the internet that I could try to use.

for example I wish to get close to this kind of colors, those photos are only examples (they are from a VG).

mechs_big.jpg?t=1394583535

ss_45fa7396837bb902ac37ebd56801742169655

Thx

Dan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I find them all pretty terrible to be honest. None of them give you that true control over dynamic range that a decent and dedicated video camera does. Hopefully this will change with the GH4. 

I've used Technicolour Cinestyle, thought it was a nice idea, but felt it made the relatively soft consumer Canon DSLR image too soft, and too drained of much useable information. 

To truely get the colour you want, on a budget, you'd have to go Blackmagic. 

I find them all pretty terrible to be honest. None of them give you that true control over dynamic range that a decent and dedicated video camera does. Hopefully this will change with the GH4. 

I've used Technicolour Cinestyle, thought it was a nice idea, but felt it made the relatively soft consumer Canon DSLR image too soft, and too drained of much useable information. 

To truely get the colour you want, on a budget, you'd have to go Blackmagic. 

thanks for your help. black magic cost too much and have a huge crop factor which means a lot of money over special wide lens.

Now I will not sell my 7D for it and maybe I will never buy one because I will not change my camera until 4K is really ready and cheap, and for that day there will be a lot of new cameras out on the market to choose.

thanks for your help. black magic cost too much and have a huge crop factor which means a lot of money over special wide lens.

Now I will not sell my 7D for it and maybe I will never buy one because I will not change my camera until 4K is really ready and cheap, and for that day there will be a lot of new cameras out on the market to choose.

Blackmagic + Speedbooster would do the trick, with a 14mm Rokinon. Only there isn't any EF Speedbooster out for MFT yet. 

For what you want though, waiting for a 4k camera won't cut it. You need more dynamic range and a higher bit rate for your images.

By the time you are ready to buy again though, there will probably be an affordable camera out that can do all of the above brilliantly. 

Blackmagic + Speedbooster would do the trick, with a 14mm Rokinon. Only there isn't any EF Speedbooster out for MFT yet. 

For what you want though, waiting for a 4k camera won't cut it. You need more dynamic range and a higher bit rate for your images.

By the time you are ready to buy again though, there will probably be an affordable camera out that can do all of the above brilliantly. 

I cannot consider speedbooster a trick because it cost a lot of money. Maybe a huge magic but not a trick! :)

I believe this is not the right time to invest in something like this. New technology is coming I would say "wait" for the next purpose (canon, nikon, panasonic, blackmagic, and maybe other brands).

Canon 7D can shoot 14 bit RAW with Magic Lanter (I believe up to 2.5k, but not sure I need confirmation). The problem in theory is h264 but as far that I can see that with the right picture style those cameras can have -awesome- colors and results. really. 

try for example cinelook (from vision color) for canon eos at evening and try to take the video of some friends. then do some post processing. it's outstaning really. so I believe is only a question to find the right picture style.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I use Technicolor's Cinestyle. Tried them all and found this one comes on top. The image is just incredibly log-like and flat like I am used to with higher-end cinema cameras, although not as useful as it is on these 12/14/16bit and 4:2:2 cameras, it gives me the image I am used to grading.

Plus Canon worked with Technicolor on this so I wouldn't think these two companies would screw up, they know what they're doing unlike the user-made profiles out there.

I use Technicolor's Cinestyle. Tried them all and found this one comes on top. The image is just incredibly log-like and flat like I am used to with higher-end cinema cameras, although not as useful as it is on these 12/14/16bit and 4:2:2 cameras, it gives me the image I am used to grading.

Plus Canon worked with Technicolor on this so I wouldn't think these two companies would screw up, they know what they're doing unlike the user-made profiles out there.

There is also a "new" flat profile developed by Canon for DSLR video

London, UK, 14 May 2013 â€“ Canon today announces the release of a new in-camera Picture Style pre-set for its range of EOS DSLRs. Created following direct feedback from video enthusiasts, the new Picture Style, called Video Camera X–series-look, enables users to capture EOS Movie footage with lower contrast levels, allowing for easier colour grading during post production processes.

Similar to that available in Canon’s range of X-series camcorders, the new Picture Style works by lowering colour saturation levels and contrast during filming. This makes it ideal for videographers during post production grading processes, especially if complementing with pre-existing footage shot with Canon’s X-series models, or alternatively for those who instantly want to add atmosphere to Full HD movies. In addition, the new Picture Style can also be applied to still images captured in RAW or JPEG formats.

The new Picture Style can be downloaded now from: http://web.canon.jp/...tyle/index.html

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just downloaded the X-series PS onto my 7D, and god it truly saves the highlights. The highlights are flatter and lowered, with more information than any PS ever made, even Cinestyle. Cinestyle does have more shadow information though.

I have a music video shoot tomorrow and will use this to and see how it holds up in grading against cinestyle.

Just downloaded the X-series PS onto my 7D, and god it truly saves the highlights. The highlights are flatter and lowered, with more information than any PS ever made, even Cinestyle. Cinestyle does have more shadow information though.

I have a music video shoot tomorrow and will use this to and see how it holds up in grading against cinestyle.

I'm glad to hear it were useful, let me know if you will like it in post processing please! :)