Autofocus Lens Options for A7s II

Curtis Ross

What are my REASONABLE lens options for a A7s ii?  Something that is GOOD with auto-focus. Mainly on SLOW moving subjects. Please don't suggest the $2000 video lens. :) I know about that one already. Something under $1100.  Currently using Canon Lenses with Metabones IV. But I am looking for a Sony lens. I have researched just about all the ones in my price range but I can really find a definite answer on which FE lens gives good auto-focus. I see a lot of crop ones but not a lot of FULL FRAME options.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

According to the tests I've seen, nothing. The A7s II has only CDAF and no PDAF so it will always focus awfully in a continuous AF situation like video with losing focus and hunting.

Maybe someone who owns the A7s II will jump in, but I would suggest you check YouTube for A7s II video AF examples.

If you want CAF with video your options are limited to Sony E-mount lenses, but as mentioned its not very good since the A7sII lacks PADF like the A7rII. The A7sII is a bad choice for tracking moving subjects compared to something like the A7rII or A6300. If you check out Brandon Li's test of the a6300, it can lock/track subjects pretty well.

You will not get CAF shooting video with any Canon lens on the A7sII.

17 minutes ago, The Chris said:

If you want CAF with video your options are limited to Sony E-mount lenses, but as mentioned its not very good since the A7sII lacks PADF like the A7rII. The A7sII is a bad choice for tracking moving subjects compared to something like the A7rII or A6300. If you check out Brandon Li's test of the a6300, it can lock/track subjects pretty well.

You will not get CAF shooting video with any Canon lens on the A7sII.

Got it! :)

If you need autofocus, forget the a7sii - it is next to useless even in good light with native, fast glass - get the a7rii instead. The good thing for me is that I am now forced to shoot manual focus (which every expert on Youtube only ever does, allegedly). 

The bad thing for me is that I miss nearly every shot in any fast moving and unpredictable scenario unless I am at F16 and a reasonable distance away from the action.

But then I am new to this manual focus lark and can only get better with time.

The a7s must have been atrocious if the a7sii is a big improvement. My cheapo Panasonic FZ200 hunts far less, and switches focus between subject and random background objects far less.