Video Devices Pix-E5 ProRes 4444 XQ vs 422 HQ.

amsh89es335

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm pretty sure it depends on the source signal.  My understanding (albeit limited) is that you don't get more color depth out of recording 12 bit 4:4:4 if the incoming signal is 8 bit 4:2:0 (a7rii), though apparently it can help with flexibility in grading later on.  Not sure it's worth it in that case alone.  But if you're shooting consistently with an FS7 then it would absolutely be worth it as you can record full 12 bit 4:4:4.  Regardless, I can confirm that both recorders are definitely 4K.  Take all of this with a grain (or six) of salt as I'm definitely no expert.  

I am thinking about getting the Video Devices Pix-E5 or the Pix-E5H to use with the A7R ii. Will there be any benefit paying more for the Prores 4444 XQ with the A7R ii or FS7. 

All you need is the Pix-E5H (not even the pix-e5 since you don't need sdi). You will not see any difference with 4:4:4. It will only cost you more drive space. 

Now they will be supporting LUTs too so that is going to be very useful since slog2 makes exposure & WB impossible. 

I'm pretty sure it depends on the source signal.  My understanding (albeit limited) is that you don't get more color depth out of recording 12 bit 4:4:4 if the incoming signal is 8 bit 4:2:0 (a7rii), though apparently it can help with flexibility in grading later on.  Not sure it's worth it in that case alone.  But if you're shooting consistently with an FS7 then it would absolutely be worth it as you can record full 12 bit 4:4:4.  Regardless, I can confirm that both recorders are definitely 4K.  Take all of this with a grain (or six) of salt as I'm definitely no expert.  

Both recorders are 4K. The recording modes are different though. You can record whatever you want, 8-bit output will always offer 8-bit signal to record, whatever mode you have going with the external recorder. You'll only add empty data. That is, nothing will change for your grading.

Both recorders are 4K. The recording modes are different though. You can record whatever you want, 8-bit output will always offer 8-bit signal to record, whatever mode you have going with the external recorder. You'll only add empty data. That is, nothing will change for your grading.

In some cases working in a larger space (at least in bit depth) has some benefits for some effects. Andrew had some examples with noise a while back. 10bit 4:2:2 prores hq should be more than enough extra space. 

Also now I realized that the 4:4:4 XQ signal is recorded only through SDI that is not available with A7rii. So that makes OPs choice easier...

In some cases working in a larger space (at least in bit depth) has some benefits for some effects. Andrew had some examples with noise a while back. 10bit 4:2:2 prores hq should be more than enough extra space. 

I would need to see it to believe it... ;-)

Also now I realized that the 4:4:4 XQ signal is recorded only through SDI that is not available with A7rii. So that makes OPs choice easier...

Right :-) Without mention... SDI there, it is 3G-SDI up to 1080p60.