Setting audio levels with DSLR and preamp

Inazuma

I have a Rode NTG4 going into a Tascam DR-60D into a Nikon d5500. Current what I do is set the audio level on the preamp so its just below peaking. The mic-out to the DSLR is at max and the DSLR audio level is set so that it peaks at the same time that it does on the preamp. Is this the correct way of doing things?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is it a line-out from the DR-60D or headphone out? If the Tascam's out signal is at maximum I would expect it to be peaking (or near peaking) on the DSLR even if the camera mic level is at minimum.

The ideal scenario is:

1: Set levels on the DR-60 so they are good (yes just below peaking or even a bit lower: between -6db and -12db is usually recommended and gives a margin of error).

2: Set levels on camera so they are at minimum possible without turning off the signal completely (usually penultimate notch).

3. Adjust the line-out signal on the DR60 until the levels look good on the camera.

If at step 3 the levels on the camera don't look high enough, you'll need to up the preamps on the camera (not ideal but not the end of the world if it's just a few notches). I would have thought the DR60 had a stronger output to be honest seeing as it's made for DSLR's. 

Anyway if you can do the above and test it thoroughly, theoretically you can leave your camera settings where they are permanently and use the main dials on the DR60 to adjust levels.

Hope this helps?