Issues with rewrapped .mov files from Sony RX10 II in Davinci Resolve 12 B4 on Windows 10

agolex

So I've really been falling in love with Resolve during the last few weeks in terms of ease and smoothness of the edit, but I'm now experiencing grave issues that have are pushing me to the brink of despair. Shot an event on Sunday, started the edit, realized I had to do something to the files in order to be able to use the audio, rewrapped them to .mov with ffmpeg, started editing (extremely slow in 4K, tried to tweak settings, and it got better), then moved the files from my RAID to an SSD, because the HDs were just too slow. Relink seemed to work, but with the expansive timeline of around 20 mins worth of clips, I can now hardly work with it. At times is fine and speed is OK, too, but more often than not Resolve starts to put in a preview frame in the timeline here and there, gets stuck on one frame in the preview window and then does nothing. No playback editing possible, the playhead just doesn't do anything if I move it and press play. If I quit Resolve, QTDecoder keeps lingering. After relaunch, sometimes, it starts to work, but more often than not it doesn't. Here and there I get a green frame or red exclamation mark on a clip preview or two. Never had that before. Does anyone have suggestions for a fix? I've already put in quite a few hours trimming the clips, so it would be great if I didn't have to start from scratch.

Have read about Resolve having issues with .mov clips in Windows, but I have no idea how to get it around it and have sound. Also I don't know whether, if I transcode to ProRes now and try to put the new clips in, I'm losing my timeline and progress.

I've messed around with playback settings a bit, tried to change the pre-allocated RAM size and whathaveyou, but the issues keep coming back, even if I revert to default settings.

My rig:

Core i7-4930K @ 4.1GHz, 64G RAM, GeForce GTX 970, newest drivers, Windows 10

Any input is appreciated! Mattias, maybe you have a clue? :p

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I can't help you for this project.  I'm curious though.  Why did you use beta software for a project like this?  Windows 10 is new and Resolve 12 is still in Beta.  I see a lot of people talking about Resolve 12.  I went to check it out and found out it was still in Beta so I passed.  But a lot of people seem to be using it.  I am really gun shy with stuff for work or with a heavy time investment.

Oh, I'm just retarded, I always use the newest stuff because I'm not happy with the old and hope for fixes and improvements in performance. To be honest, this is the first time in my life I find my PC sufficiently stable and fast to do any serious work on it (except writing, gaming or whatever). I wasn't content with Resolve 11 and I wouldn't have wanted to get into filming before because the image quality I could have afforded wouldn't have done it for me. Same goes for Windows. Before 10 I always felt it had too many bugs, was too slow, too many issues with USB and so on. I'm a strange person. :p

Turns out I've had the wrong Quicktime version installed, it probably did an auto update. With the QT that comes with Resolve now everything is working like a breeze.

EDIT: Well, on first try at least. Ah well, never mind, I'll just, um, sleep instead. :d