Wich prime lens for polyvalent anamorphic set up, help please!

Vincent Çapulcu Mullot

Hi everybody,

Looking for some advices! I'm lost looking for the perfect lens that would come between my Rectilux/Kowa 8z combo on one side and Holymanta ND filter(I'm planning to buy shortly)/GH3 on the other side.

My expectations listed below from most important to less important:

- Filmlike Image quality (with contrats I don't like so much old school low contrast look)

- Widest focal length possible without vignetting (as far as I know 35 mm on MFT with Kowa 8z, but if possibility to do wider I'll take it)

- Brightest possible (f.2 maximum of the maximum)

- Compacity and low weight

- Manual Aperture

- Low chromatic distortion

- Declick Aperture

- Solidity and weather seal

- Circular Aperture (I ask too much I know…) 

Budget up to +/- 1000 usd if I really find the perfect lens that suits.

I have in mind some but they have their drawbacks:

- Samyang 35mm T1,5 VDSLR AS UMC II: this one covers a lot of my expectations but it's so big, when adding Kowa/Rectilux/Holymanta/Gh3 I guess it would something like 35 cm long wow!!!

- Canon FD lenses: problem to make them work with the EF mount of the Holymanta ND with an adaptor

- SLR magic 35mm: mount compatibility problem with Holymanta EF mount

So as you can see I'm stucked with EF mount on the Holymanta ND filter, that's my main problem I guess as it would be much more easy to find something suitable with MFT mount but I really need le Holymanta ND filter because of fast operation and always ready advantage. I shoot alone so this is a must for me.

Also one question: is a speedbooster or equivalent which is magnifying would make a 35 mm lens to vignette with the Kowa, I have some big difficulties to understand optic theories... 

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Vins.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

you could get a C/y mount zeiss 35mm f2.8 and adapt to ef

adapted FD lenses to EF requires an adapter with glass in it and I wouldn't recommend doing that, I dont think there are any high quality ones and if there are, probably not worth the money. Adapt FD to MFT is much easier though. You could get FD to MFT chinese RJ speedbooster, Ive been pretty happy with mine for the price.

with a speedbooster on 35mm lens on my gh4, it vignettes a good bit. at 40mm the vignette is gone though.

There is a 40mm f2.8 Zeiss in c/y mount that is a pancake lens and pretty affordable. Never used it though. Might be worth looking in to though

Hi thanks for that I'll check this lens.

On my way back home I may have found beginning of a solution, I guess the ND filter doesn't HAVE to be in the end of the chain just before the camera (as it ment to be on Holymanta website http://www.holymanta.com).

So what if I put it in the middle between taking and anamorphic lens? As it is EF mount on one side and MFT on the other I was thinking I can use M42 -> EF adaptor on Kowa anamorphic side and MFT -> M42 on the other. As M42 is screw mount I would be able to fix it (with extra thin adapters to adapt the diameter if necessary) rear end of Kowa anamorphic on one side and front end of taking lens using the available threads on them!

Doing so it will end my problem of EF mount for the taking lens and open a whole world of choices of lenses as I will be back to MFT mount for the taking lens.

Am I thinking right?

Best.

Vins.