Widest Usable Taking Lens When Cropping 2X Anamorphics to 2.35

Caleb Genheimer

Hi, all! I've recently obtained a wonderful Kowa 16-H, and I've discovered (to my delight) that it is in fact usable with as wide as a 28mm lens on GH2 as long as I'm cropping the sides off in post from 3.55:1 to 2.35:1 ratio. I've not yet tried my 24mm as my red stan adapter has yet to arrive, but I'm wondering if it might work that wide.

Is there anyone with a Kowa Bell and Howell/16-H/8Z and a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 that could test the two together? Andrew perhaps? I know that the anamorphic guide has max wide focal lengths for this anamorphic on FF, APSC and M4/3 sized sensors, but those focal length suggestions seem to be for full coverage of the sensor, which is not necessary when cropping the sides off the footage in post to 2.35:1. If by chance the Voigt works with Kowa, it could be a killer combo.

Anyone know of any exceptionally impressive 28mm lenses?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=Caleb Genheimer link=topic=934.msg6787#msg6787 date=1341383969]Is there anyone with a Kowa Bell and Howell/16-H/8Z and a Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 that could test the two together?[/quote]

I have tried this combination with my Bell & Howell and as I recall, it vignettes to the point of the image taking the shape of a circle in the middle of a black frame.

I revisited this combination and it turns out that you were right. I must have gotten it confused with another combination. Here is a quick test:

First image is with the Noktor at f0.95. The edges become harder as you stop down.

Second image is with the Ex Tele crop (2.6), though you will see more noise.

Last test is the first image, but cropped to a 2.35:1 ratio. There is minor vignetting.

Nice. Looks Just about useable. The upper right corner has that light grey vignette that shows up when a light source is in frame shining at the lens. I've been brainstorming ways to get rid of it, some sort of matte black felt coating might do the trick.

Darn, now I've gotta ave up for the Nokton  ;)

I for one think this is pretty big news. The Kowa Bell and Howel/8-Z/16-H is useable down to 25mm, which his approximately "normal" on GH2. This makes them bested in this department only by the LA-7200 and perhaps the Iscorama, neither of which are 2X anamorphic adapters.

the kowa is simply fantastic even if a new anamorphic came out sub 5000 dollars i would be surprised if it was sharper or better than that kowa.
the panasonic is is joke quality wise and like the optex and century is only popular because of wider field,single focus and compression.
in a pure set up test the kowa will always win.
my harse words are cos i hate chromatic abberation,coma and astigmatism i may not be able to spell der words but doze things sure look bad when you seeum in der image.