Am I doing something wrong? Noise on red areas under the sun.

TSV

Hi everyone.

What call noise could also be "grain" not sure what term should I use, however I do not like them and need your help to make sure I am doing it right next time.

Here you are an example (70Mb 4K file) 

https://mega.co.nz/#!O5MBRaSI!ATxnj0fkwKJzlUw4r8bw8UhlX-KTmprP1fHclOgcn-c

This was taken with my GH4, ISO200, the Lumix 35-100mm (I was at 100mm) with a ND16 filter, Shutter speed at 60 and not sure what aperture I was using. I understand that in the dark areas there will be noise. But I do not understand (or like) to see grain or noise in the red part of the pagoda which is under the sun... There should not be grain there normally right?

So what I am doing wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

this is ungraded, right? that could change things. But my understanding is that there will usually be some noise with the GH4 (something some people like about the camera to help reduce banding etc). are most of your finished products in 1080p? that downscaling will help with noise a lot. you could maybe overexpose slightly and then adjust in post to get a less noisy image - can be risky for certain shots, especially bright daylight like this, making dynamic range and highlight clipping worse, but it will hold up better to this than some camera's images. Don't think it sounds like you're doing anything wrong though. the noise there was pretty subtle and not distracting imo

Edit: plus Neat Video helps

this is ungraded, right? that could change things. But my understanding is that there will usually be some noise with the GH4 (something some people like about the camera to help reduce banding etc). are most of your finished products in 1080p? that downscaling will help with noise a lot. you could maybe overexpose slightly and then adjust in post to get a less noisy image - can be risky for certain shots, especially bright daylight like this, making dynamic range and highlight clipping worse, but it will hold up better to this than some camera's images. Don't think it sounds like you're doing anything wrong though. the noise there was pretty subtle and not distracting imo

Edit: plus Neat Video helps

​Hi, Yes ungraded from CineV (I am not really good at grading things so, I try to keep it safe). And nope, I export in UHD (1080p is so 1999 ;-) ). Thanks for tips, I will give it some try on none important project to see if I can manage in post. Again Post is the weakest link here for me, I really need to take some color grading lessons. 

As for Neat, I have Neat 3, I will give it a try, but if I do that everywhere I may loose the sharpness of shooting in 4K and Neat 3 is not that fast... But again if this is the GH4 basic behaviour I have to learn to live with it or... Start learning how to color grade. 

I did not download the clip. But the description reminded me of something my beloved GH2 did. Bright sunlight and noise?

That was due to the setting 'iDynamic' (or sth. like that). Shadows (compared to the sky, the pagoda may be several stops darker) were 'pushed' and therefore showed this red mosquito noise. Check that.

If that's not the case, you could buy a cheap IR-cut-filter, because with my current Pocket, I also get weird noise without the filter (I have a good one though, the Tiffen, that has been tested to cut off the right frequency for the BM sensor).

I have the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 from Panasonic. When I bought it, it came with UV filter attached. Recording with the UV filter attached I get the same noise patterns as in your clip. When I remove the UV filter, the noise patterns are gone. It happens with some cheap P-size ND filters(Stealth Gear) I have as well.
The Contax Yashica lenses I have don't suffer from such noise patterns when I have the StealthGear-ND's attached, at least not that I noticed. Never tested them with an UV filter.

Are "native" lenses more sensible? …no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's not your GH4.

I did not download the clip. But the description reminded me of something my beloved GH2 did. Bright sunlight and noise?

That was due to the setting 'iDynamic' (or sth. like that). Shadows (compared to the sky, the pagoda may be several stops darker) were 'pushed' and therefore showed this red mosquito noise. Check that.

If that's not the case, you could buy a cheap IR-cut-filter, because with my current Pocket, I also get weird noise without the filter (I have a good one though, the Tiffen, that has been tested to cut off the right frequency for the BM sensor).

​I checked iDynamic and if I am correct it is disabled by default when in Manual Mode. At least on my Japanese GH4 it is the case. I am not 100% sure since the menu is in Japanese and the setting between iD Resolution (Off) and Master Pedestal is set to OFF (I cannot read the Kanji :(.

I have the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm F2.8-3.5 from Panasonic. When I bought it, it came with UV filter attached. Recording with the UV filter attached I get the same noise patterns as in your clip. When I remove the UV filter, the noise patterns are gone. It happens with some cheap P-size ND filters(Stealth Gear) I have as well.
The Contax Yashica lenses I have don't suffer from such noise patterns when I have the StealthGear-ND's attached, at least not that I noticed. Never tested them with an UV filter.

Are "native" lenses more sensible? …no idea, but I'm pretty sure it's not your GH4.

Maybe, but I am really disappointed by Panasonic 35-100, the 12-35 is fantastic but the 35-100 come with this GRAIN or NOISE on pretty much everything ranging from Photo to Video...​