Are Ebay Anamorphic lens prices Inflated?

Caleb Genheimer

I'm sorry but this is getting very frustrating. None of the good anamorphics seem to be available for anything south of $1000. Am I just crazy, or is a Kowa 8Z not worth anywhere near that much? I really don't even want to bother with Sankor/Proskar etc. because I know I'll just wish they were wider. I mean, I know these are special lenses, but come on people . . . who's paying that much? You're crazy.

*sigh* end rant.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Never pay the Ebay going rate.  90% of the lenses out there, the owners don't use them, and don't realise they have such potential on dslr's.  search old camera shops with grumpy old men running them, ring up old theatres and ask if they have any old stuff they don't use.  say you are a student doing a project and you need old unused projector lenses.. etc.    play dumb if you have to.  don't let on you know what they may be worth.  ebay is the last ditch for clever people, and the go to for the uncreative types who throw money left right and centre.  tvbay, gumtree, etc.  do searches for 16mm projectors.  the seller might have some lovely squeeze lenses they don't value.

• 4 weeks later...
no...
to make a lens as good as a kowa 8z today would cost over 2000 dollars
some of these lens are a bargain
the question should be why is ebay so full of tired old overpriced soft anamorphic lens
the iscorama new in the early 1990s in london cost £1500.isco could not make or sell that lens today for less than 4000-5000 euros.
people pay top whack on ebay sometimes cos they do not want to wait and hunt for a bargain
a soon as you get your anamorphic lens it needs to be tested quick and sent back if you are not able to get a sharp picture.
so much anamorphotic junk around so little time before the the next big war.