Nikon D5200 HDMI out

aronidisd

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum but I have been reading on EOSHD for a while. After a lot of reading in this forum and articles, I bought the D5200. There is a thread by Andrew Reid which claims that the HDMI out is 4:2:2, and then there is an article that says that is 4:2:0. They are both posted in February 2013. So, my question is, after almost two years from the posts, do we know if it is 4:2:2 or 4:2:0? Couldn't find the answer anywhere..

Thank you very much! Happy new year to all!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Nikon claimed 422.

Easy to test, find footage recorded via HDMI with bright red lights in it (road traffic for example) and look at the edges of the red for pixilation.

My memory is too hazy of it now to go back into the D5200.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

My D5300 is 4:2:2, and Andrew is spot on how the decreased chroma sub-sampling presents it self in an image, only on the edges on bright red/green/blue in the number of pixel "stepping".

The codec inventors created these two ways of reducing file sizes, chroma sub-sampling (422 and 420) and reduction of colour gradients/bit depth (8bit/10bit), these inventors did such a tremendous job on finding information to throw away that have the least effect on IQ to the human eye, therefore the difference between 4:2:2 and 4:2:0 is just too small to be visible to practically everyone, and the same with 10bit vs 8bit. These numbers are the most overrated specs in the film-making community, in my opinion. 

Some colourists who specifically work on green screen work say that this colour stepping from chroma sub-sampling affects them badly in pulling a clean key, so this is the only situation where it might be visible, but also remember that 4:2:2 still gives stepping and 10 bit still gives banding, just every SO slightly/invisibly less.

Sorry for the rambling, but short answer is yes, it's 4:2:2, I tested it.

Just don't expect better colours or a better image or increased grade-ability when recording to an external recorders vs internal recording to SD cards, they look EXACTLY the same, if you're keying for green-screen give it a try, it might be worth it for you (but just a try, don't invest in a recorder because it will probably prove useless for you when you try it)