Noob question about video type on TVs

Chxfgb

Which one of these factors could make a video incompatible with a TV? I would assume just the resolution, but someone else seems to think the other two could be possibilities. Thanks.

1. Exporting at a certain bitrate (footage at 8 Mbps worked, but not footage at 10Mbps)
  2. Color depth (footage filmed on a camera that shot 8 bit worked, but some 10 bit camera footage didn't)
  3. Resolution i.e. too high resolution for the TV (this is my guess as we are trying vertical footage, so the height could be more than the TV allows for)

Of course, I would figure it out myself but I don't have access to a video editor right now, or a TV for that matter. The issue is that the the footage shot in 8 bit was also encoded at 8 Mbps and the footage that doesn't play was shot on a 10 bit camera and coincidentally encoded at 10 Mbps.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What is supported by a TV depends on the model (obviously) and how it gets ingested; i.e. Is it read from an inserted thumb drive or through some dlna server etc. All three things you mentioned can prevent a TV from playing back the footage. The more you stick with bog-standard formats, the more likely it is to play. So something like 8-bit 4:2:0, 6 Mbs 1080x1920 or UHD will work. I think following DVD standards for HD Tv's and blue-ray standards for UHD Tvs should be a safe bet. (e.g. DVD has a max bit rate of 10Mbs if I remember correctly and are in practice on average 6Mbs).

3 hours ago, Chxfgb said:

Which one of these factors could make a video incompatible with a TV? I would assume just the resolution, but someone else seems to think the other two could be possibilities. Thanks.

1. Exporting at a certain bitrate (footage at 8 Mbps worked, but not footage at 10Mbps)
  2. Color depth (footage filmed on a camera that shot 8 bit worked, but some 10 bit camera footage didn't)
  3. Resolution i.e. too high resolution for the TV (this is my guess as we are trying vertical footage, so the height could be more than the TV allows for)

Of course, I would figure it out myself but I don't have access to a video editor right now, or a TV for that matter. The issue is that the the footage shot in 8 bit was also encoded at 8 Mbps and the footage that doesn't play was shot on a 10 bit camera and coincidentally encoded at 10 Mbps.

The problem is probably caused by 10-bit files and/or too high resolution. I think 10-bit is more likely to be the problem on older TVs e.g. ones that don't support HDR etc.

As Michael S says, for maximum compatibility use common/older formats e.g. H.264/AVC 8-bit 4:2:0 1080p