5D Mk III or wait for GH3 (have Canon glass)?

GlenPepin

Real question: how good are the latest m43 sensors? Does  the GH3 stand any chance of having latitude/dr and high ISO anywhere in the same ballpark as the mk III or should I keep my L glass and upgrade to th mk III?

I own an original 5D and fast canon primes (24 L II, 85 L II, 135 L). I'm in need of a camera for stills and want to get into some video.  The Mk III seems like a no brainer until you consider the upgrade price and video limitations (soft and not true 1080p).  If I got a GH3, I would sell all of my Canon glass, flashes, etc. and have money left over  for some nice lenses (Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95?).

Not sure what to do as I am considering still photos as well.  I would love to have a (much) smaller rig to travel with and if I thought the DR/latitude and High ISO would be close enough, I would wait for the GH3 for sure.

I know that sensors have come a long way since my 5D, and suspect that some of the new breed of smaller sensors do better with DR (OM-5) and high ISO for stills anyway, and expect that the GH3 will do better that the mk III for video. 

Any O\oppinions/help?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=GlenPepin link=topic=797.msg5750#msg5750 date=1338408333]
Real question: how good are the latest m43 sensors? Does  the GH3 stand any chance of having latitude/dr and high ISO anywhere in the same ballpark as the mk III or should I keep my L glass and upgrade to th mk III?

I own an original 5D and fast canon primes (24 L II, 85 L II, 135 L). I'm in need of a camera for stills and want to get into some video.  The Mk III seems like a no brainer until you consider the upgrade price and video limitations (soft and not true 1080p).  If I got a GH3, I would sell all of my Canon glass, flashes, etc. and have money left over  for some nice lenses (Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95?).

Not sure what to do as I am considering still photos as well.  I would love to have a (much) smaller rig to travel with and if I thought the DR/latitude and High ISO would be close enough, I would wait for the GH3 for sure.

I know that sensors have come a long way since my 5D, and suspect that some of the new breed of smaller sensors do better with DR (OM-5) and high ISO for stills anyway, and expect that the GH3 will do better that the mk III for video. 

Any O\oppinions/help?
[/quote]

I'd keep your L glass.  soon there will be the boffins at magic lantern turning the 5dmk3 into what it is meant to be.  somewhere between the performance of the 1D cinema and the 5dmk3 as standard id imagine.  many suggest the 5d3 as it stands has had some firmware crippling features for product differentation.  the L glass has a lot more life and value than any 2 bit (in comparison) lenses for the 4/3 system.  eos cinama range, red, and lack magic offering ef mount as standard will continue the value of these lenses imo

[quote author=richg101 link=topic=797.msg5756#msg5756 date=1338463126]
Soon there will be the boffins at magic lantern turning the 5dmk3 into what it is meant to be.  somewhere between the performance of the 1D cinema and the 5dmk3 as standard id imagine.  many suggest the 5d3 as it stands has had some firmware crippling features for product differentiation.  the L glass has a lot more life and value than any 2 bit (in comparison) lenses for the 4/3 system.  eos cinama range, red, and lack magic offering ef mount as standard will continue the value of these lenses imo
[/quote]

Gosh I hope you are right. I always figured they would sell a 5D-C, and it would be sweet not to have to pay for it.  The current bit-rate on the 5D3 seems way underpowered given its processor.

The moment this happens I'll buy it.