GH2 and Canon L series lesnes?

wastedthelight

Is anyone using (and have examples) of the GH2 with any Canon L series lenses?  I was on the set of a music video last week, they used a Canon 5D with a 70-200mm and a 24-70mm. The video/pictures were absolutely stunning. I see most people talking about the Voigtlander 25mm though and the Panasonic pancake.

While I know (and don't really understand) that people prefer prime lenses, the images produced at the shoot sold me on these other two lenses, at least when hooked to a 5D.  Just curious if the $3,000 investment will be worth it when attached to a GH2.

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
There are better alternatives around when it comes to the GH2, partly because of the expense and partly because the aperture on a Canon L / EF lens is electronically controlled. Canon FD, Contax Zeiss offer the best value, Leica R, Zeiss ZF (Nikon mount) and Voigtlander offer similar image quality to the Canon L range but with manual aperture control rings on the lens.

[quote author=wastedthelight link=topic=118.msg1008#msg1008 date=1325455356]
Is anyone using (and have examples) of the GH2 with any Canon L series lenses?  I was on the set of a music video last week, they used a Canon 5D with a 70-200mm and a 24-70mm. The video/pictures were absolutely stunning. I see most people talking about the Voigtlander 25mm though and the Panasonic pancake.

While I know (and don't really understand) that people prefer prime lenses, the images produced at the shoot sold me on these other two lenses, at least when hooked to a 5D.  Just curious if the $3,000 investment will be worth it when attached to a GH2.

Thanks.
[/quote]

The advantage of prime vs zoom lenses are you get less lens distortion and better bokeh. Recent Canon L zoom lenses has improved on sharpness even at wide aperture but L prime still has an edge in that too.

I bought the RedRock Micro Live Lens MFT adapter and initial impressions are it's going to be a great piece of kit. Unfortunately the release pin got stuck and it wouldn't release my 70-200mm F2.8 lens, so RRM is fixing the issue now. Once I get it back i will post some videos.