BMPCC video with Pancake 14mm & BeSteady One Gimbal

Axel

I almost bought the a.m. Pancake, because my Sigma is too sharp. Overbid. Will try again. Because it's rather slow, it acts like a fixfocus lens here:

The gimbal of course costs 3700 € (in Germany), but there is the Hobby King alternative also ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Really would like a gimbal of some sort as i'm going to have to film at some festivals & a carnival soon, but need it to be cheap & there lies the problem.

You followed the gimbal thread in the main forum?

There is this $ 500 gimbal: 

Yes, you need to assemble it yourself, but it won't be too hard. I believe the difference lies more in the operator's skills than in the built quality of the gimbal. What steadicam guru Tom Antos did with the $1000 Came gimbal imo is phenomenal (but he also tested some traditional 'stabilizers', some of which I had used myself, and his shots were very good). I dare say most of these gimbals are still ridiculously overpriced.

I've been following threads about cheap gimbals on a few forums & I just don't know.

You're right about being overpriced, but they are so tempting.

I think i might just get a chest/shoulder pad to go with my hacked together mini non-rig thing & then see how i cope.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost bought the a.m. Pancake, because my Sigma is too sharp. Overbid. Will try again. Because it's rather slow, it acts like a fixfocus lens here:

The gimbal of course costs 3700 € (in Germany), but there is the Hobby King alternative also ...

I loved this, looks absolutely brilliant!

Did you shoot it raw or ProRes, may I ask? 

I loved this, looks absolutely brilliant!

Did you shoot it raw or ProRes, may I ask? 

It's not my video.

Good exposure (please, BM, give us a waveform or at least a histogram!) and roughly appropriate WB in ProRes can let you grade the image to match a raw comparison shot. With much less moire and noise.

Among other characteristics the raw video appears much sharper. If you read out the metadata, you see that 25% sharpening is already added by default. Take that out, and it becomes as soft as ProRes (but colored moire remains visible). Add 2,5% sharpening to ProRes (depends on the method, resp. the software, with 'unsharp mask' less is needed), and the same shots become indistinguishable. There is slightly greater DR in raw (given you E'dTTR), but are the problems worth it?

The clip above was probably shot in ProRes, that's what I suspect always when the image has that undersaturated look. 

As far as the reported softness of the 14mm is concerned, that's not true, compared to other MFT system lenses, see here. It just appears to be not sharp enough to resolve moire patterns, which makes it ideal, at least in my opinion.

• 1 year later...