Panasonic Lumix GH4 Video Performance review

bnystedt

Hi everybody,

I'm Brendan and I write for Reviewed.com (formerly Camcorderinfo.com/Digitalcamerainfo.com). We put together a special piece investigating the GH4's video abilities. We ran our standard tests and you should really check out our rolling shutter visualization and the links to our full-resolution crops of our video sharpness chart.

HD: '>

4K: '>

And the link to our video performance review: http://camcorders.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gh4-video-shooting-review

For kicks, here's our normal full review: http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/panasonic-lumix-gh4-digital-camera-review

We regularly shoot our videos with GH3s so we're intimately familiar with using the GH family. If there's anything else we can answer, please let me know!

Thanks!

-brendan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks. Your site seems very nice and straight forward! Just for kicks I looked up the camera I have (GX7) and saw you noted it as having some of the best auto whitebalance of any camera - which I have also found to be case, though I've never seen anyone else mention this before :)

In general, how do you feel about the GH3's colour response and general IQ compared to the GH4/GX7? Reason I ask is because I want a body that's more rugged and can record higher bitrates, but don't want to sacrifice my GX7's IQ.

Hi Inazuma,

Thanks for checking out my GH4 stuff and my GX7 review, too! If I had to rank the GH4 for general image quality, I'd place it slightly above the GH3 and GX7. IMHO, for most still photographers, the GX might be the better choice since it's smaller and if you're planning on using Olympus lenses, the IBIS is nice to have.

If you're looking at upgrading to a GH4 for its rugged enclosure, I think it'll fit the bill quite nicely but at a premium. GH3s are only around $1K body-only and you get a very durable camera and almost the same IQ. The GH4 is a bit of a tough pill to swallow for $700 more if you're not planning on using it for its most impressive intended purpose—4K video capture.

Thanks again!

-b