Stabilisation software that corrects wide lens distortion too?

kye

A few weeks ago I took a scenic helicopter flight, and naturally I took the opportunity to shoot it as best I could, sitting in the back and shooting out of the open door.  

As I was limited to hand-holding and knew that getting stable shots at 200kph / 120mph with the door wide open was going to be a huge challenge I used my Sony X3000 action camera (which has impressive OIS) and the GH5 + 12-35mm f2.8 combo for the dual-IS.  

The GH5 worked really well, benefitting from the three points of contact (two hands and face while using EVF) and being shot from within the aircraft.....

.....but the X3000 didn't fare nearly as well.  

Due to its very wide angle lens, I held it further out the door (to avoid getting the doorway in shot) and limited to only two points of contact (two hands), where it was buffeted by the wind much more (in a rolling motion as I was holding it from below).  As such, I have footage that is very shaky.  Normal stabilisation in Resolve works to eliminate the shaking, but the edges of the frame wobble around like a sheet of plexiglass in the wind.  I tried applying lens correction before stabilisation, which helped, but the footage is still pretty wobbly.

I'm sure there are pieces of software out there that can do this.  I don't know if I can afford them, but I'm sure they're out there.

Does anyone know of anything or can anyone recommend anything?

I probably should have asked before the recent sales, but didn't get to this point in the edit until now.  TIA...  and here are some shots (ungraded), just to make my request slightly more interesting 🙂 

The X3000 is great at getting wide scenery shots:

285833464_Helishots_1_72.1.thumb.jpg.66ede6607abaef8ef57aeb6ff15ea035.jpg

The GH5 could then be used for detail shots:

1208150966_Helishots_1_73.1.thumb.jpg.83506459df66a34d7a5bc52dd16b0d7f.jpg

X3000 wide:

533225494_Helishots_1_68.1.thumb.jpg.b14d8fa96710c1cfc13f5d35def9de8b.jpg

GH5 detail:

783241543_Helishots_1_70.1.thumb.jpg.b3a3a24827fef5d120694c56d9f87eeb.jpg

The combo works really well, and actually the X3000 did great, but most of the movement was in rotation of the camera, which OIS can't really help with, and holding it out the door of a fast-moving aircraft was probably outside its design brief!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

ProDAD Mercalli v5 can do this - I use the software a lot but not the lens correction part of as I don't have any need for it.

Of all the software stabilisers I've tried over the years, Mercalli v5 is easily the best I've ever used.

https://www.prodad.com/Video-Stabilization-for-Professionals/Mercalli-V5-SAL-Windows-29795,l-us.html

Note that people like Magix sometimes bundle it with their video editing software at a much lower cost than buying Mercalli on its own from ProDAD (but it doesn't look like they are doing that at the moment, unfortunately).

20 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

ProDAD Mercalli v5 can do this - I use the software a lot but not the lens correction part of as I don't have any need for it.

Of all the software stabilisers I've tried over the years, Mercalli v5 is easily the best I've ever used.

https://www.prodad.com/Video-Stabilization-for-Professionals/Mercalli-V5-SAL-Windows-29795,l-us.html

Note that people like Magix sometimes bundle it with their video editing software at a much lower cost than buying Mercalli on its own from ProDAD (but it doesn't look like they are doing that at the moment, unfortunately).

Thanks - that's a really interesting looking package, as it includes things like RS correction and various other issues that modern cameras face.  Mocha is another package that might be useful too, but wow, are these things all really expensive!

Still, buying one of these would upgrade all my previous footage as well as future stuff, so from that point of view it might be worth it.

More research required...