Having trouble aligning focus with my Anamorphic setup [Leica R 50mm, Kowa 16h, Rapido FVD-16a]

bucknasti

Hey there, I'm just dipping my toes into diy anamorphic builds and just this past week got everything together for the first build. I'm getting amazing results in certain areas but having a couple issues and wondering if it's my focus aligning technique.

The main issue is that my infinity and "close to infinity but not quite" focus marks are a bit soft. I've tried a couple different ways to align infinity on my scope and taking lens and nothing seems to get it to where it needs to be (unless i'm stopped down to like f11). I've had the best results focusing first my taking lens to infinity and then slapping the scope on and pulling to what looks sharpest. Earlier today, I tried the "circle bokeh" method of focusing the scope first. I had similar results but what I found to get the bokeh the most circular showed my focus distance at 15'. I'm sure there's a sweet spot somewhere in between both methods but I have not found it yet and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on why I'm having this issue?

One other thing I came across this afternoon, I saw a video outlining Kowa sharpness tune up by opening up the lens and realigning it. Tito had significantly better results after his tune up, is it possible this is the extent of my issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So there are two aspects: checking whether the scope is aligned, and then optimizing for use with variable diopter by setting both scope and taking lens at (or near) infinity.

Find an object with fine detail, at least a few metres away, so that the minimum focus of your scope covers it. Focus taking lens alone, add scope and focus it til you get a sharp image, so double focusing. If this is impossible, your scope is out of alignment and will require some maintenance.

If you CAN get a sharp image while double focusing, then proceed to infinity focusing on a far away subject. First check whether the taking lens can reach it. Then add scope and do the same. Sometimes the scope is aligned, but cannot reach infinity. On the 16H this requires tuning one tab that determines the focus range of the scope.

When both taking lens and scope are double focused at infinity add the FVD and see if you can get a sharp image. Sometimes the taking lens needs a slight nudge to just before infinity.

Take your time and be systematic. If you don't succeed ask help in the helpful Anamorphic Shooters Facebook group.