ikan Elite V2 Universal Tablet Teleprompter

EphraimP

I usually shoot unscripted doc-style interviews, but there have been times I've shot non-narrative scripted content, with non-professional talent either trying to memorize their lines or reading large cue cards held next to or right below camera. I have never been happy with those shoots, so usually steer clients to the doc-style approach even if they have clear messaging points and calls to action they want to get across. 

I have a two shoots coming up for an investigative report style project that are complete scripted with non-actors. The client wants to rent a teleprompter and because we'll be shooting direct-to-camera I think it's way to go. I could just rent one two times, but I have a friend who also runs a small production company who rents a teleprompter about 5-6 per year. So, if I buy one now instead of renting twice, I can put the clients rental fee towards the purchase and rent to my buddy to help make the thing pay for itself.

With those considerations, I think the ikan Elite pricepoint is about right and I see that it's rented out by rental houses in the US, so it must be of reasonable quality. Does anyone here have experience using it or a similar price point unit (~$650-700 US). 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've used the $200 Glide Gear many times with an ipad prompter app - its been very handy despite being a bit clunky and surprisingly heavy. Its easy to setup and get right to shooting. Cue cards don't look as natural since the talent isn't looking right into the lens, if you're having people read stuff regularly, the prompter solves all of that. The Ikan looks like a rebranded Glide Gear. If you'll use it and it'll pay for itself, just get it.

Chris