Lens Suggestions for a Newbie with a Panasonic GH4

scottyd

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I might be missing something by not knowing what IMAG is (is it live playback?), but no one has yet pointed out the obvious - if your output is 720p, then you will have a lot of crop options with the GH4 in 4K mode. Couldn't you therefore do without a long tele?

The MFT cameras are not great in low light - even the new sensor in the GH4. I'd still choose a GH4 over a 5D3 for what you're doing, without hesitation. But I would buy a Speed Booster and some fast primes or the Sigma 18-35mm.

If you're buying this camera to learn 'real' filmmaking, MFT lenses are not the way to go. You want to use manual focus. The only advantage of Lumix glass for you is stabilization.

Personally I would go for:

GH4

Speed Booster (Nikon>MFT)

Sigma 18-35mm

A couple of these Nikkor AI-S primes: 85mm f2 / 105 f2.5 / 135mm f2.8 / 200mm f4

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 if you need a wide angle.

The MFT cameras are not great in low light -

Which is the last mft you tried? My gm1 in video mode in low light is roughly on pair with my 5d2. And I suspect a lot of noise is coming from the poor bitrate. No doubt a new generation fullframe beats any mft, but I'll start to call these toys "great" anyways ;)

Which is the last mft you tried? My gm1 in video mode in low light is roughly on pair with my 5d2. And I suspect a lot of noise is coming from the poor bitrate. No doubt a new generation fullframe beats any mft, but I'll start to call these toys "great" anyways ;)

I wouldn't even call the 5D2 great in low light, personally. I haven't seen anything to convince me the new Panasonic sensor is comparable in low light to the 5D3 (which is what the OP is also considering). I'd love to be proved wrong. I'll snap up a GH4 in seconds if it truly matches my D5300 for low noise and dynamic range, even if it needs a Speed Booster to do so. I'm not convinced MFT will ever be able to match even APS-C for low noise and dynamic range. Believe me, I hope Panasonic manage it - because the other option is waiting for Nikon to develop a prosumer mirrorless hybrid line. I'm looking forward to some serious GH4 test footage. 

Why do a lot of run and gun reality shows strongly prefer the 5D Mark III? I've never seen a job posting saying they are shooting on a GH3. If I can get work by purchasing and learning a 5D Mark III then it seems like this would be a good decision in the long run.

If you go here and filter by Camera Operator it usually lists the cameras required for the gig.
http://staffmeup.com/jobs

Why do a lot of run and gun reality shows strongly prefer the 5D Mark III? I've never seen a job posting saying they are shooting on a GH3. If I can get work by purchasing and learning a 5D Mark III then it seems like this would be a good decision in the long run.

If you go here and filter by Camera Operator it usually lists the cameras required for the gig.
http://staffmeup.com/jobs

Just get a 5D3 then..... Honestly. If that's what you think will get you a foot in the door (it won't) but if you think it will go for it. There are reasons why 5D3's are recommended and it's usually down to ignorance (MOST -not all- of the time it's due to someone heard "this camera is gud".. NOT because it's regarded as the pinnacle of DSLR video performance............) In some cases people are still shooting Canon due to the popularity of the 5D2 (why change when you already own gear?) Canon also offers very good upgrade path with the Cinema EOS system.

It's not like you're going to be covered in jobs just because you own a 5D3 (in-fact I'd say you'd be lucky to even get 1 job just because of the gear you own) That said, a good "camera operator" should be able t shoot with a whole range of cameras, any decent job will supply you with cameras and anyone hiring that has slightly more knowledge than just a consumer who's best friends uncles pro videographer buddy told him "this camera is gud".