[Newbie] nex-5n vs gf3 vs gx1 vs Andrew's book ?

Jacek

From all posts/reviews I have seen, I still don't know which camera to choose from budget group for video:
nex-5n, gf3 with hack, gx1 [with expected hack later this year]
[gh2 is too expensive where I live - ~1000$ vs ~500$ gf3 vs ~700$ nex-5n and gx1]

Any advice?

Does gf3 with hack has better video quality (mostly resolution) than nex-5n?

I like nex's manual video controls and focus peaking. On the other hand, Panasonic looks more promising for future cameras and by choosing it I'll be ready for future with adapters and native lenses.

I'll mostly use m42 and Canon FD lenses for now.

Another question is if Andrew's guide is also applicable for nex-5n usage?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
what bad things I heard about 5n is the noise that some types of 5n have during the video. Google it, there are many videos, also that douchebag from digital rev tv or how is it called has done a review about that issue. Personally I have sony nex 5 and i am using canon fd and  m42 lenses. I am as happy as i can for 250 euros camera(NEW!!!!) the video is 1080 60i but it comes from 25p so you can convert it if you need but ihaven't found it neccesary. Btw there's almost no difference in gf3 and gf2, just that gf2 is cheaper. Unless you need the 1080 60p on 5n for slow motion, for sports etc. i wouldn't go for it, 5n is the best choice from these three, but it is not a gh2 or nex7, low light performence is weaker.

Check on ebay for used 5n it goes for around 350 euros if you want new i deffinetely recommend just the sony nex 5. Or wait after the NAB, there is going to be new sony nex which will most likely cause the fall in the prices of sony nex 5 and 5n.

you may also find that some reviews are unsatisfied with the manual control in nex 5. Well that's nonsense, you can change the main button to many options like iso and shutter, and if you use the aperture on canon fd or m42, than there is no need for any more , use the aperture priority shutter automaticaly adjust and the rest is still available through few buttons.

good luck

I have been working with the strengths and weaknesses of the 5n for several months now. You can do a lot with the camera considering its weaknesses - handling issues you can adjust too. The sensor is fabulous and I would take it over the any of the hacked gf models for sure - better ergonomics than the gf's, the sensor performance, very good codec, 1080 60p, incredible stills when you take them (dynamic range, high iso, etc.)

I like the video from it better than from the Nex-7. Yes, I have also seen that blochy video noise at 1600 and 3200 iso when I have pushed it. Sunset seemed a better than portrait profile in those instances. I've shot at 3200 in b/w with contrast and sharpness ramped down and it looked gorgeous. Also shooting primarily with FD glass.

Protect your highlights when shooting with the 5n - they blow-out fast. The type of shooting I, overheating has only twice been an issue. I generally shoot short clips of interviews, scenes, etc. But the few times I have had a shot cut short due to overheating, it was a major bummer and I wanted a gh2 right then and there.

All that said, the gh2 is a much more capable, all-round camera for video and I am definitely purchasing one now that I've worked with the 5n for these months. I'll still use the 5n, but the gh2 quality even with basic hacks is so impressive. There are folks hacking and making solid improvements to the audio:
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1152/gh2-audio-hacks/p5

I've spent hundreds getting good audio for the 5n which I then have to sync later. Quality is great but it is extra steps and all the money adds up. I very much understand being on a tight budget. Depending what you want to do, you may spend the difference between the 5n and the gh2 on an external recorder alone... (ps. do not get a h4n. for the price, there is better equipment now.)

Even without the gh2, Andrew's book has been very helpful, fun, inspiring.