Right setup for shooting live volleyball?

CrazyObbe

Hi!

I am looking for the right setup to send live video from volleyball games.

36 games per season + playoff @ 120 min each time.

Will a Canon EOS 600D be good for that?
Will it handle 120 min video without breaking?

Is it right/wrong to go with a dslr instead of a video cam?

The budget is very low.

The video vill be sent out on the internet with bambuser or ustream or a service like that.

Thanks for all input.

I live in Sweden.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
I'd go for a small chip camcorder with AF for the whole match coverage, and a DSLR for some cut-in artistic shots. GH2 would be good for that. 600D can't record for longer than 12 min at a time. As for camcorder - Canon XF305.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=564.msg3834#msg3834 date=1334252612]
I'd go for a small chip camcorder with AF for the whole match coverage, and a DSLR for some cut-in artistic shots. GH2 would be good for that. 600D can't record for longer than 12 min at a time. As for camcorder - Canon XF305.
[/quote]

Is it possible to hook up the 600D to the computer and let bambuser/ustream to capture what the camera is seeing?
The camera will not need to be recording, I think, so the 12 min doesn't matter if I have found the right information?
I will not record on the memorycard in the camera.

If it´s not possible with the 600D I need an tip for videorecorder in the pricerange in the 1000$ range.
The Canon XF305 costs around 10 000$ in Sweden which is way to expensive for this project.

Thanks.

I love the sound of this project, but...

What kind of footage do you want to capture: wide-angle, full court or player-focused zoom? Will you be using just the one camera or many and will they be stationary or moving? Do you need to overlay any visual effects onto the stream? Will you have a stable broadband internet connection?

These and a dozen more questions could impact the kind of equipment and workflow you're going to need to pull off a live stream like you described.

At the very least, you'll need a camera or camcorder capable of providing a clean-feed output via composite, HDMI or SDI and a means to capture that feed to a PC/Mac for encoding.

In terms of cameras, I'm not convinced the Canon 600D is your best option; I'd choose the Panasonic GH2 over that almost any day, but especially in this situation.

As for capture and encoding, I'd recommend taking a look at the options available from TeraDek (excellent, wireless solution for capturing camera footage and streaming it to the internet) and Blackmagic Designs.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!

[quote author=Teddy B. link=topic=564.msg3958#msg3958 date=1334409966]
As for capture and encoding, I'd recommend taking a look at the options available from TeraDek (excellent, wireless solution for capturing camera footage and streaming it to the internet) and Blackmagic Designs.
[/quote]
Another option available is Contour's Cerevo LiveShell. Furthermore Livestream will ship the Livestream broadcaster by May 31, 2012.

[quote author=andre link=topic=564.msg3968#msg3968 date=1334430499]
Another option available is Contour's Cerevo LiveShell. Furthermore Livestream will ship the Livestream broadcaster by May 31, 2012.
[/quote]

I thought about mentioning Livestream, but wasn't sure what the time constraints were like for the OP. Hadn't come across the LiveShell device before, so good call on that, could be easy/low-cost option if the limitations don't put him off.