Best Software for Previewing ProRes files on a PC

EphraimP

Since I picked up my Ninja V last week, I've shot some projects in ProRes, both 422 and Light. I know that theoretically DNxHR is made for PC systems, but my first project was a long concert with multiple acts and ProRes Light gave me the best combination of file quality and size to capture the whole event on a 1T drive. It's time to start editing.

My normal editing workflow is to open up each video file after I download it to an editing drive so I can scan it to see if I want to use the footage. The only player on my laptop that opens ProRes files, besides NLEs, is VLC player. But VLC player is really struggling to play the files, so it's really unusable for my workflow. I could load them all into Premiere, but there is some hassle involved with that in terms of deleting files I don't want. 

Is there a better player for ProRes that folks here use for weeding through their clips?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Download Davinci resolve lite and drag your files into the media viewer section to preview. Resolve can decode ProRes, just not encode to it. So your files can be viewed in the software. It should work well. You can also look at the waveform in the color section to help analyze your videos. Hope this helps!

Didn't think of that. I already have Davinci downloaded and have been meaning to learn it so I can kick the Adobe habit. If I drag files into media viewer, will it create temp versions or files that will increase memory usage or file space? These ProRes 4k files are chunky and eating up space fast.

Previewing in resolve should not take up more file space unless you generate optimized media or something. Running resolve will use memory.

Have you tried media player classic? Thats my main media player, since unlike VLC it is color managed. I don't kniw how performance compares. I am actually surprised that VLC lags for you. What version do you have? Have you checked to see if it runs your CPU to 100% when playing files in VLC?