Tascam DR60 Mkii auto sync audio

Allen Smith

I am having trouble figuring out how to send audio to Samsung NX1 camera from camera out port on tascam recorder. Anyone sure how to make it where recorder sends data to camera and save that directly to camera SD card? Or any idea on how to simply process for syncing up audio with external audio recorder?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You should be able to send audio from one of the Camera Outs on the DR-60 to the microphone jack on the NX1 via an aux cable. However, I tried this once and got horrible noise, so your mileage may vary.

For syncing, I usually read the name of the audio file off the DR-60 screen. That way I know which audio file goes with which video file. You could also write down the filename on a whiteboard or clapperboard and hold it in front of the camera, but I've found it's easier to have that identifier in the camera's internal audio than it is to have it in the video image. Whichever works for you. You should also make a loud clap to have a place to sync on.

In post, it's usually easy, but time consuming, to sync audio and video manually. Alternatively, there are several automatic tools. Premiere and Resolve both have builtin features where you select an audio file and a video file, and then it automatically syncs them. I've found they work some of the time. PluralEyes seems to also be a popular tool, though I've never used it.

17 hours ago, Allen Smith said:

I am having trouble figuring out how to send audio to Samsung NX1 camera from camera out port on tascam recorder. Anyone sure how to make it where recorder sends data to camera and save that directly to camera SD card? Or any idea on how to simply process for syncing up audio with external audio recorder?

you could use headphones to troublesoot signal chain. before i've invested in sounddevices mixpre3, i used to monitor audio via additional phones-amplifier designed for mobile phones, thus it boost audio signal and eliminates poor audio output cercuit: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1160529-REG/fiio_a3b_a3_portable_headphone_amplifier_black.html

4 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

for syncing, I usually read the name of the audio file off the DR-60 screen. That way I know which audio file goes with which video file. You could also write down the filename on a whiteboard or clapperboard and hold it in front of the camera, but I've found it's easier to have that identifier in the camera's internal audio than it is to have it in the video image. Whichever works for you. You should also make a loud clap to have a place to sync on

why simply not to rename files: date-time created???

6 hours ago, IKSLIM said:

why simply not to rename files: date-time created???

You could, but having a unique identifier in both the video and audio file is more foolproof. If you bulk rename to date time, you rely on accurate date and time settings in both the camera and recorder. If someone replaces batteries in the DR-60 and doesn't set the time correctly afterwards, you're in for a huge headache. Also, you will never start and stop the audio and video at the exact same moment, so the file names won't match perfectly anyway.

It's very easy and reliable to read four numbers off the screen.

An added benefit is that you immediately know if you didn't record audio for a take if you read the numbers off.