GH5 footage in DaVinci Resolve

OxfordDavid

Has anyone been able to get GH5 4k 50p (or 60p) to playback smoothly in Da Vinci resolve 14? 

I'm using an intel 5820k and GTX 970 based mac - and although the CPU and GPU usage are not maxed out (about 30-50% of max) the playback, even in the media preview section, is not smooth. Slightly oddly the reported frame rate is given as 50, with a green indicator, even though this visually is not the case. Using istatmenus the reported frame rate for the display as a whole is also around 50. The same file will playback fine outside of Resolve, e.g. with quicktime.

I know I can use transcoded footage, e.g. using the optimised media option within Resolve, and this works fine, but it just seems like it should just work without doing this?

Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My Mac does, but it uses Quicksync - and so does Resolve, obviously. It's a matter of configuration-optimization or so, I guess. I wouldn't worry. If you didn't already, use the one-month trial period of Kyno. The idea is that you browse your card, preview the clips, set in- and out-points, subclip them with "s", rename them, whatever, and afterwards batch-convert them to ProRes, which happens way faster than with Resolve. Kyno doesn't "import" anything. Yes, this does eat more disk space (depending on your shooting ratio of course), but you have your footage organized. I don't know for sure, but I think this will also be the perfect solution for the 10-bit clips which the free Resolve doesn't accept, for what reason ever ...

6 hours ago, Axel said:

My Mac does, but it uses Quicksync - and so does Resolve, obviously. It's a matter of configuration-optimization or so, I guess. I wouldn't worry. If you didn't already, use the one-month trial period of Kyno. The idea is that you browse your card, preview the clips, set in- and out-points, subclip them with "s", rename them, whatever, and afterwards batch-convert them to ProRes, which happens way faster than with Resolve. Kyno doesn't "import" anything. Yes, this does eat more disk space (depending on your shooting ratio of course), but you have your footage organized. I don't know for sure, but I think this will also be the perfect solution for the 10-bit clips which the free Resolve doesn't accept, for what reason ever ...

This looks great, thanks for the tip.