redundant recording options for 5d mk3 and d80

nishan87uae

I have a 5d mk3 and a d80 and interested in getting into wedding videography.

My main concern is the lack of redundant recording option in both cameras.

Currently I am looking at getting 2 blackmagic video assist 5" recorders for both cameras (with cages)

Is it possible to do redundant recording with mk3, d80 and bmvas? Otherwise what are the options available?

thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have both of those cams.  You can do redundant recording with the 5D3, but I don't believe the 80D has a clean HDMI out option for recording externally.  One thing to keep in mind is that the 5D3 does not transmit audio over HDMI, so you need an audio in on your recorder if you want to record audio.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe the 5" BMVAS has an audio in.  

I use a Ninja Blade with the 5D3, which does have audio in.  However, it is worth noting that this is a line level input, not a mic level input.  If you want to plug a mic directly into the recorder, it would need to go through a mixer first.  Running from the headphone out on the 5D3 into the Blade will work, but I would consider that as reference level audio.

Practically speaking for weddings, it is a much much better idea to just use a 4th/5th camera than to use external recorders. 

That way if the worst happens and you lose a camera (unlikely!) you still have another angle to help cut between to make "something" work out ok in the edit.