Cinematic quality Tamron 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD + Nikon camera

Arikhan

The Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD is an exceptional wide lens for photography. It's stabilized and so I'd like to buy it for shooting video mainly on a Nikon D500. Is someone out there personally experienced with this combination? Nikon 4K + this lens?

I am a little bit in worry, the footage will get too sharp/with a "oversharpened look" (lens is in photography super, super sharp) and because of lens construction, I can't put a pro mist (or other filter) filter on it. Someone an idea how to solve this dilemma?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
Just now, Arikhan said:

@BTM_Pix

Thank you so much for your tip!

BTW: Are you experienced with 4k shooting with this lens? Your impressions? Thanks again...

No, I've never used it.

My few experiences with Tamron lenses has been that they are very good optically and great value for money but a bit rough AF wise and build quality wise but they look to have upped their game with that one. I can see why it would appeal with that range because of the 4K crop on the D500.

The filter situation is a killer though. 

Don't get me wrong, its no bad thing building a collection of the square filters because they'll last you a lifetime and grow with you but they are adding so much outlay if you are only going to use them with this one lens and will make things a lot less stealth ;)

Yes, there is an outlay out there. I would prefer the spectacular Nikkor 14-24mm, but this one has no stabilisation. The optical difference between the Tamron and the Nikon wide zoom is NOT noticeable, excepting flare of the Tamron. Test it if you get it in your hands, you will be thrilled (from photographic point of view)...

My few experiences with Tamron lenses has been that they are very good optically and great value for money

Yep...After excessively testing, I prefered to buy the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC G2 over Nikons counterpart. First, i could NOT believe the reviews saying, it's better than the Nikkor and usually I prefer to use native lenses. But it is better....

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

Yes, there is an outlay out there. I would prefer the spectacular Nikkor 14-24mm, but this one has no stabilisation. The optical difference between the Tamron and the Nikon wide zoom is NOT noticeable, excepting flare of the Tamron. Test it if you get it in your hands, you will be thrilled (from photographic point of view)...

Yep...After excessively testing, I prefered to buy the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC G2 over Nikons counterpart. First, i could NOT believe the reviews saying, it's better than the Nikkor and usually I prefer to use native lenses. But it is better....

I've had the 14-24mm for years and to be honest I've always felt a bit odd because I've never loved it as much as everyone else does. It took a really big smack when I was shooting the Tour de France one year and was locked at 14mm for a long time because I only ever used it at that focal length anyway! For that reason, if I had to buy it again today I'd probably take a good long look at the Sigma 14mm f1.8 prime.

The Tamron hasn't been on my radar though and I could probably part ex my 14-24mm and be a little bit ahead of the deal....

I'd have to polish out the tyre marks on whats left of the lens petal first though ;) 

I prefer great primes too, for sure. BUT...Even for photography, I could carry 3 primes with me (14, 20, 24 1.8 - total weight about 4kg) to replace a very good wide zoom like the 15-30 or 14-24. And don't forget, for filming, the Sigmas don't have stabilization - not ideal for handheld Run & Gun. It's not easy to find a convenient compromise, when it comes to lens usage...

4 hours ago, Arikhan said:

The Tamron SP 15-30mm F/2.8 Di VC USD is an exceptional wide lens for photography. It's stabilized and so I'd like to buy it for shooting video mainly on a Nikon D500. Is someone out there personally experienced with this combination? Nikon 4K + this lens?

I am a little bit in worry, the footage will get too sharp/with a "oversharpened look" (lens is in photography super, super sharp) and because of lens construction, I can't put a pro mist (or other filter) filter on it. Someone an idea how to solve this dilemma?

Almost all modern Nikon lenses will outresolve the 4K Nikon cameras shoot, so don't worry about the lens resolution.