Audio + 60fps help

/p/

I'v been filming a sporting event for the past week, originally my goal was just to get some good shots for a showreel however it has turned into something more. When I began I decided to shoot everything at 60fps since it would allow me to slow a clip down if I wanted too and I could just shoot at 60fps the whole time.

Now I'v been asked to do some short interviews with a Zoom H4n for audio, will audio recorded onto a Zoom H4n sync the same to 60fps footage as it would to 24, 25, 30fps etc as long as the timeline the video is playing on is the same as what the footage was shot at?

I mean if I shoot the video at 60fps and my timeline is set to 60fps then audio should still sync the same from the Zoom or is that wrong? Normally I'd just test it all out however I have to film tomorrow morning, I have to pick a mic + the zoom up (I am also unfamiliar with the Zoom) and I have to sync audio since I won't have time to get what I'd need to plug the zoom directly into my GH3.....

Instead I have to plug the mic into the Zoom XLR, record the audio seperate to my footage (which I plan to shoot at 60fps) and pray that it will sync ok..... Unless I get an answer from someone here that knows it won't I have to just try it and hope it works. THANKS.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

(I know this is a bit longwinded so in short, you'll be fine syncing the H4n with 60fps )

If you plan to overcrank the 60fps footage for the slow motion effect they'll need to be conformed to 30 or 24 fps so you'll need a 24 or 30 fps timeline anyway, why not just shoot the interviews in 30 or 24?  

Unless you want slow motion interviews... lol

I've never actually recorded an interview at 60 but I don't think it would have any sync drift issues with the H4n.  One second of audio at any sample rate is still the same as one second of video at any frame rate, they may look and sound a bit different but they are both still recording one second of time.  Just like one second of 24fps video is equal to one second of 60 fps video except one has more frames in that second which results in clearer motion while the other has motion blur; they may look odd cut together but they'll still be in sync.  The frame rate or sample rate doesn't change the amount of time recorded but speeding up or slowing down the recording will change the amount of time the recording takes to playback so just make sure you're playing back the footage at the same speed you recorded it with the audio.

If you plan to overcrank the 60fps footage for the slow motion effect they'll need to be conformed to 30 or 24 fps so you'll need a 24 or 30 fps timeline anyway, why not just shoot the interviews in 30 or 24?

I only want certain parts slowed down, the rest I just want to play at regular speed. I shot at 60fps, 1/125 and the footage looks good, I tried just slowing the playback time in premiere and it looked good.. If I shoot the interview at 30 or 24 and make that my timeline setting all the 60fps footage will be slowmotion which I don't want. Originally I wasn't going to be doing interviews just footage of the event so I decided to shoot everything at 60fps so that I didn't have to keep changing the fps, it's sport so something really cool that could be put into slowmotion cold happen at anytime.

You should conform rather then retiming your footage.  Retiming 60fps footage in a 60fps timeline to 50% speed doesn't actually have enough frames to do it properly, so it creates new frames in between each frame by blending two frames together.  Conforming 60fps footage in a 30fps timeline however plays each frame twice as long, resulting in a smoother clearer motion image that takes twice as long to playback.  However just dropping 60fps footage into a 30fps timeline will drop every other frame.

Not sure what program your editing with, but I had to do the exact same thing last year. I filmed scenes at 50fps and used 5D2RGB to conform to 25fps which basically deleted every other frame. I also output selected scenes as 50% slow-motion using the same program, it didn't output the audio, but gave me perfect slow-motion by spreading out the 50 frames over 2 seconds.

Then after completing the project, I found an easier way in FCPX. Basically, I can now film at 50p, load a project in FCPX set at 25p, import the footage and it works perfectly at 25p (automatically missing out every other frame), then when I want slow-motion I just tell FCPX to conform the speed of the specific clip i want as slow-motion and it spreads the clip out to fully utilise the full number of frames!

Here's a video tutorial on the process...

Conform Frame Rates In FCPX - Macbreak Studio

The process in FCPX works exactly the same with audio (but then most editing programs work in this way). When you import an audio clip it recognises the project frame rate and sets the audio to that frame rate. Then sync the audio with FCPX's 'Synchronise Clips' command.

If I shoot the interview at 30 or 24 and make that my timeline setting all the 60fps footage will be slowmotion which I don't want. Originally I wasn't going to be doing interviews just footage of the event so I decided to shoot everything at 60fps so that I didn't have to keep changing the fps, it's sport so something really cool that could be put into slowmotion cold happen at anytime.

these things all depend on the project (playback) settings from whatever NLE you're rocking which is separate from the sequence settings.  You say you want to use some 60p footage for slow mo, but not all of it?  Whichever rate you plan to record the interviews should be the fundamental sequence.  Priority is lip sync especially if you want to do 23.97.  All  other footage is exempt from 100% conformity once your render out.  Personally I'd continue to shoot at 60p for the 30fps publish...