Compatible Canon Prime Setup with SLR Magic Anamorphot?

Mr. Ambiguous

Hi all!

I have an upcoming project which we'd love to shoot anamorphic. However, we're on a tight budget and since renting anamorphic lenses is not an option, we're now looking into the possibility of shooting with SLR Magic's Anamorphot 1.33x - 50, together with their rangefinder. We'll be shooting Full Frame on the Sony A7s II with the Sigma MC-11 adapter and Speedbooster for those APS-C shots. The SLR Magic Anamorphot 1.33x - 50 requires the taking lens to have a front element of no more than 50mm, preferably less. Our original idea was to shoot on the Sigma ART series since we need fast and sharp lenses for some night exteriors, however, the Sigma ART lenses are too big for the Anamorphot (except the 35mm), so I've looked at some alternative lenses and I'd love to hear your input on the following combination:

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM ArtFront element: 45mm (and yes, 35mm will probably vignette somewhat in FF, but we can crop a few percent on those shots. We can't use the Canon EF 40mm f/2,8 STM since it's to small to use with follow focus, which is a necessity

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM - Filter thread: 58mm, front element looks to be around the 40-45mm range.

Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM - Filter thread: 58mm, front element looks to be around the 45-50mm range.

What about a tele lens above 85mm? SLR Magic claim that the Anamorphot can be paired with a taking lens between 40-85mm in FF, above 85mm the image quality will drop. Why is that? It'd love to include a tele-lens as well but it's difficult to find a lens with a small enough front element. Do you guys have any ideas?

Doubtful but would be nice:

Tamron Telephoto SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD IF MacroFilter thread: 72mm, front element looks to be around the 55-65mm range judging from the 360-view on B&H product view.

Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro - Filter thread: 72mm, front element looks to be around the 50-55mm range judging from the 360-view on B&H product view.

What do you think about this setup? (especially regarding the 35, 50 & 85mm lenses) Any better alternatives? Own experiences etc.

//cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM extends when focusing and has rather delicate mechanics. You might want to go look at one in a store before buying to see if it will actually perform for your needs, I'm not sure you can mount the weight of Anamorphot + Rangefinder on it without damaging the mechanics and if you use rods to support the weight, you have to adjust every time you refocus.

42 minutes ago, Dude_ger said:

But with the Rangfinder there´s no need to focus the 50mm

Precisely my thought :)  We'll use a lens support because of the heavy setup, it'll be a very heavy rig but I don't bother, a couple of weeks of back pain is definitely worth the look we're hoping to achieve :thumbsup: