Jump to content

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art compared to Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM


hijodeibn

Recommended Posts

I already have the Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM but I am interested in the lower stop of the Sigma 30mm, I need a lens for run and gun during the night, has anyone here used the Sigma 30mm Art?, any issues using it at f/1.4 during the night?, anyone has used both the canon 28mm USM and the sigma 30mm Art?, please only looking for feedback from people with real experience in this lens, not from someone who saw a review in the internet, I have already seen them but I still want the vision of a forum member with real experience....Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just looking at these two the other day, the Canon is recommended as having great iq and much better built... the sample images I saw looked good, I'm not a big fan of most modern canon lenses, liked what I saw of this one though. The speed of the Sigma is tempting .. what camera are you using? The Sigma definitely seems to have a mojo on some sensors, a not oversharp but mega detailed look.. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Michael Coffee said:

Was just looking at these two the other day, the Canon is recommended as having great iq and much better built... the sample images I saw looked good, I'm not a big fan of most modern canon lenses, liked what I saw of this one though. The speed of the Sigma is tempting .. what camera are you using? The Sigma definitely seems to have a mojo on some sensors, a not oversharp but mega detailed look.. 

I am using a C100, and from people I trust the canon always had a good review, the first version of the Sigma had very bad reviews, always ranked far below the Canon, but I was thinking the new Sigma Art could have improved enough to surpass the Canon, but looks like almost nobody is using it, which also say a lot about it, I think I will just stay with the Canon and go safe…..

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael Coffee said:

Was just looking at these two the other day, the Canon is recommended as having great iq and much better built... the sample images I saw looked good, I'm not a big fan of most modern canon lenses, liked what I saw of this one though. The speed of the Sigma is tempting .. what camera are you using? The Sigma definitely seems to have a mojo on some sensors, a not oversharp but mega detailed look.. 

We may have a different opinion of "modern".  The 28 1.8 USM was released in 1995. 

On a side note, I have the Sony E-Mount Sigma 30 1.4, which is different than the EF mount, but it's a nice little lens.

4 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

I am using a C100, and from people I trust the canon always had a good review, the first version of the Sigma had very bad reviews, always ranked far below the Canon, but I was thinking the new Sigma Art could have improved enough to surpass the Canon, but looks like almost nobody is using it, which also say a lot about it, I think I will just stay with the Canon and go safe…..

The Sigma 18-35 1.8 SINGS on the C100 IQ-wise.  AF is a bit noisy, but shoot MF or use external audio and you're golden.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shield3 said:

We may have a different opinion of "modern".  The 28 1.8 USM was released in 1995. 

On a side note, I have the Sony E-Mount Sigma 30 1.4, which is different than the EF mount, but it's a nice little lens.

The Sigma 18-35 1.8 SINGS on the C100 IQ-wise.  AF is a bit noisy, but shoot MF or use external audio and you're golden.

Thanks for your feedback, actually I was going to buy that lens, but the weight is more than 800 grams, which is too much for run and gun, I am using the Canon 18-135 STM as my primary lens, since the DPAF is incredible and no noise at all, for the night I have the 50mm 1.4 and now I got the 28mm 1.8, I only have room in my backpack for 3 lens, so i was thinking to replace the 28mm 1.8 for the Sigma Art 30mm 1.4, but I am worry very few people is using it. How is your 30mm performing at night?, is it the Art version or the previous one?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...