IS Vs Monopod

/p/

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth buying the new Canon IS primes for video use, specifically the 35mm f/2 IS.. However it's almost $1,000 and for that price I could get the regular 35mm f/2 and a really decent video Monopod..

Miller makes one that's about $150 (on sale right now for $128) for the monopod itself and $160 for the quick release plate. Sachtler also make one but it is quite a lot more expensive at $692 monopod+quick release plate.. 

It's really just for when I can't use a tripod.. I really like the idea of being able to get steady hand held shots, but a monopod isn't really that much extra weight anyway.. I think the pro of the IS is that you aren't really restricted in any way but with the monopod you can also rest the weight of the camera on it inbetween shooting. Also with the monopod it will also give lenses without IS that stabilization too.

Thoughts? Also, if anyone has experience with the Miller or Sachtler monpods I'd be really interested to hear what you think about them. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Shooting on a monopod is like shooting on a highly portable tripod. The difference is pretty big between that and hand held IS. Also, sing a light carbon fiber one like the miller you mentioned wont do much for stabilization of walking shots.

Can I ask why you're opting for that expensive quick release rather than a fluid head or even a cheap photo head?

Shooting on a monopod is like shooting on a highly portable tripod. The difference is pretty big between that and hand held IS. Also, sing a light carbon fiber one like the miller you mentioned wont do much for stabilization of walking shots.

Can I ask why you're opting for that expensive quick release rather than a fluid head or even a cheap photo head?

I just saw it on B&H and put it up as an example, I'm looking at that Sachtler one too but it's very expensive and I'm not even 100% sure what the plate on the top is for.. But I have a Sachtler tripod with a fluid head, I'm assuming it may be possible to attach the head to the monopod? The head is huge though, not sure how well it would work on a monopod lol.

I'm really not a fan of Manfrotto.. so I haven't looked into their options. Another thing I'v been wondering is how a Monopod would compare against something like a small red rock micro rig for handheld shooting. Specifically I'm just looking for the best portable stabilization as I can't always be on a tripod. 

Personally I think IS allows for a lot of fluidity in run and gun situations that can't really be touched by any other stabilization system. Nothing else allows you to just put a camera in your hands and go - hard to beat that level of mobility. However, it's pretty un-cinematic looking and as you said applies only to that one lens. I find it to a more documentary or even ethnographic aesthetic than a monopod.

Have you thought about some kind of shoulder rig or something? There a plenty of passable Chinese ones on eBay.