Matte Box Recommendations?

Ed Andrews

It looks like I need to get myself a matte box to go with a BMMCC and an monster Angenieux 15-150mm f1.9.

Anybody got some recommendations as to a good, reliable set up? I'm willing to sink a bit of money into it as a long term, adaptable set up so not necessarily a budget option.

Also, advantages of getting 4 x 5.65 over a 4x4? The diameter of the lens is 110mm so 4 x 4 could just squeeze in.

Any any thoughts of advantages of 19mm over 15mm rods? Just can take a greater load out? Any pointers would be really appreciated.

Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I bought an "indian" one when DSLRs started really taking off, figured I'd eventually replace it. Still use it every week though, guess I got lucky -it was like $250.

Look for:

At least two stages & at least one rotates;

Height adjustable;

Detachable flags that don't have gaps between the flags and the main hood assembly - and hopefully the front flag stays put when used without the side flags;

A swing-away front is really handy;

If you use different sized lenses (DSLR style shooting), I found it's easier to just get screw-on rubber lens hoods to seal the lenses against the matte box opening vs. nun's knickers or swapping out foam donuts. If you use cinema lenses it's not such an issue. (You usually need something though - the first time you get back to your NLE and see the reflections of focus gears in your ND - yeah, that bites!)

Ed, if you are in London I'd check out Shoot35. Very decent Mattebox for the money. I had their original one and a smaller one they sadly don't make any more. Bright Tangerine looks like the one to beat today. If I could do it over I'd get a box that supports 4 x 5.65. I've found it really hard to find the 4 x 4 filters I'd like to use in the used market. Some filters like the Tiffen Indie IR ND line only seem to be available in the 4 x 5.65 range.

https://www.shoot35.com/