A few questions about Hypergonar setup, Focus Module vs. SLR Magic Range Finder

Clément Gabriel Jolivet

Hi, i've decided to make an anamorphic setup but i'm a bit lost with the technical aspects & the latest hardware developments (Focus Module & SLR Magic Range Finder)

so thanks if anyone can answer here. I'm sorry if it sometimes reads as i'm thinking out loud, but i really need help though (and maybe it'll help other people too).

Setup

I'd like to shoot a narrative short film with the following setup :

Helios 44-2 58mm f2 as a taking lens with a Hypergonar Hifi 2 or 16ST, most probably on a A7SII (i'd like to be able to make tests on my Canon 650D /T4i) with a follow focus and of course ND filters.

I'd like to know if anyone would have the specs for those lenses. I don't really know which clamp to buy. The Helios 44-2 has a 49mm filter size.

At first, I'll buy the clamp, the Hypergonar (maybe both Hifi 2 & 16ST) and the Helios just to do some tests and if i'm ok with it, i'll go on and solve the double focus problem.

Anamorphic Shop Focus Module vs. SLR Magic Range Finder

The two solutions (Focus Module & Range Finder) make it impossible to use a matte box with square filters because the FM & the RF move back & forth when focusing. I can live without flags, not without nd filters.

Is the image captured on the Focus Module really using the 105mm diameter or can we cheat by using smaller diameter filters ? I'm asking because i have a Heliopan 82mm variable Nd that i'd be glad to use with it.

The Range Finder is great by having a 82mm front thread size.

I'll ask Anamorphic Shop directly but if anybody has the info here i'd be glad to know if the Hypergonar Hifi 2 fits in the Focus Module ? I think the Hypergonar 16 ST does but i'd like to have confirmation on that too if possible.

The focus throw seems to be really different on the 2 : Really long on the FM and quite short on the RF. I've read somewhere that the FM is a bit of a pain to deal with because of that (too) long focus throw.

Anybody has feedback on that ? Maybe with handheld / tripod narrative or documentary use ?

Minimum focus distance is 60cm on the FM vs 1,1m on the RF.

Price

Last question, i see Andrew talked about the Range Finder being 550$ (=500€) but on the SLR Magic site it says 550 pounds, which makes it 700 euros. I see it listed at 599$ on Adorama and BHPhoto.

But on the European SLR Magic site, it's listed as 760€ (!!!).

http://www.slrmagic-europe.com/slr-magic-rangefinder-cine-adapter.html

So, in the end, the Focus module still is cheaper (for us in Europe at least ;) ) : it's listed at 640€ (there isn't any info on the shipping costs) but that still needs a gear to make it work with a FF.

Con's for the FM : Lens breathing is still there, it's heavier, with a long focus throw (not sure how bad that is), needs to find some gears to use with a follow focus, 105mm front thread filter size (82mm for the Range Finder)

Pro's for it : it's cheaper (without the FF gears), has a 60cm minimal focus distance

Thanks if anybody has the time to share some knowledge on those questions...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs