Sony NEX 7 video mode - first impressions review

Andrew Reid

[quote author=theSUBVERSIVEBIRDS link=topic=243.msg1637#msg1637 date=1328414164]
[quote author=EnriquePacheco link=topic=243.msg1633#msg1633 date=1328368898]
What I do to be able to edit nicely on mac is convert to Apple Prores using Quicktime (before you have to install  this plugin https://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/dload/avccam_impt/agree_e.htm)

Then I conform to 25p using Cinema Tools.

Hope it helps.

Regards.
Enrique.
[/quote]

Thanks! I'll take a look.

So far, I found a software called RewrapAVCHD, it rewraps the MTS file into m4v and so does the Handbrake, but I think that the Handbrake actually converts it. The difference is that with the Handbrake you have control over it, with the RewrapAVCHD you have no control over it, you can't choose codec, quality, etc.

Is there a difference between conforming the video and importing it as a 60p and making a slo-mo? Let's say I conform it from 60p to 24p and I import as a 60p and slow it down 2,5x to make it 24p - as the rest of the project is 24p. Is there any difference in quality or more like a workflow preference?

Thanks!
[/quote]

Re-wrapping with a tool like that is probably your best bet rather than do an extra stage of recompression. I use clipwrap which by the sounds of things does the same thing but does add options for converting to ProRes etc. however I find cinema tools can't conform the ProRes output of clipwrap for some strange reason - so for 60p slowed down to 24p I would go rewrap, then through compressor to ProRes and then use cinema tools to conform to 24p. Rewrapping and conforming should take seconds, converting to ProRes will take longer.

Conforming using cinema tools basically changes the frame rate without changing the number of frames so your NLE will see the clip as a 24p clip rather than a 60p clip. For example if you have 1 second of footage (60 frames) at 24p you still have 60 frames but it plays them over 2.5 seconds rather than 1 second. If you adjust it in FCP it simply drops frames.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi Andrew, I was tossing up between the NEX-7 and A65 for video and basically decided on A65 for in body IS over the extra 1/2 stop and no crop of the NEX-7. As you own both do you notice a big video quality difference between the two other than those 2 factors? Also you talk like the NEX-7 is the only camera with that EVF but isn't it the same as the optional one for NEX-5n (which is tilt able) and also the a65/77? I know you were comparing to the c300 and GH2 but it does come across that way, where in fact the optional one for the NEX-5n is the same quality but also more flexible.

[quote author=arknox link=topic=243.msg1616#msg1616 date=1328295553]
Interesting... I didn't think that there would be a contest between this and the GH2. 1080 60p is also a very enticing feature. Very excited now about the outcome of this review, actually in a strange way hope that the NEX 7 can come out on top.
[/quote]

I really, really hope that your predictions do not come true. I have just bought a new GH2 camera, and I would feel pretty dumb if I didn't wait another couple of weeks for a better NEX 7  >:( , so I sincerely hope that GH2 will ultimately kick NEX 7's ass  ;D  ;D

[quote author=milandirector link=topic=243.msg1645#msg1645 date=1328489549]
I really, really hope that your predictions do not come true. I have just bought a new GH2 camera, and I would feel pretty dumb if I didn't wait another couple of weeks for a better NEX 7  >:( , so I sincerely hope that GH2 will ultimately kick NEX 7's ass  ;D  ;D
[/quote]

I think you're pretty safe to be honest. I'd put money on the GH2 remaining at the top of the podium. I was just hoping that the NEX-7 might deliver close to it and give us 1080 60p. From everything I've seen so far though the moire on the NEX-7 alone is enough for me to gravitate towards the GH2. Check out the comparison videos posted by this guy:
[url=http://vimeo.com/35827837][Updated!] NEX-7 vs. GH2 side-by-side video comparison Part 1 (FullHD 1080p25 version)[/url]

An unhacked GH2 seems to be around the ball park of the NEX-7 minus moire, but hacked the GH2 destroys it, at least from the examples in that link. This is only one source though and I don't have the camera in hand to give a real opinion. But my feeling is that unless a hack comes out for the NEX-7 it looks very much like the GH2 is still top dog.

• Administrators
Cool test. But remember guys that is only really showing resolution. Moire and aliasing is not as bad on the NEX 7 as on the Canons. That kind of deep depth of field architecture shot is better suited to the GH2. The NEX 7 has different strengths, gladly those strengths are pretty much where the GH2 has a few weaknesses. Namely, 1080p slow mo, sensor size, dynamic range and colour.

The NEX 7 is a very handy camera, trust me... If you can afford both and need two cameras for your project, they accompany each other well.

This is a case of take the test with a pinch of salt.

• Administrators
[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=243.msg1634#msg1634 date=1328369834]Unless you are shooting at base ISO in good lighting I suggest people who shoot above ISO 800 to avoid the NEX 7 like a plague. Even at base ISO the higher resolution NEX 7 lacks fine details compare to the 5DMkII and that is not good.
[/quote]

Your view is extremely extreme! You seem to be mistaking 'close' with 'bad'. The NEX 7 is not 'bad' at high ISOs, it is close to the 5D Mark II since it has gapless micro lenses and a 3 year more modern sensor design despite having a smaller pixel pitch.

Believe me it doesn't look like the plague.

Also... Try one before judging.

Interesting point about perhaps the NEX-7 being used in conjunction with the GH2 to cover its bases. In the grand scheme they both are really quite cheap so it's not unthinkable. Really looking forward to this review now, there seems to be very little out there at the moment. Particularly would like to see how far it can be pushed in grading and how the Quantum hacked GH2 720p 60 uprezzed to 1080 compares to the NEX-7 1080p 60.

Andrew,

Can you give some insight into Mac workflow when dealing with the NEX 7 or 5N footage? Do the files need to be converted, or can they drop natively into FCPX? If conversion is necessary, what program would you suggest? Trying to decide if I should recommend this camera to a friend. But want to make sure there are no headaches when it comes time to edit. Thanks!

I do not understand how can you say so good review about the EVF.

I just received my nex-7, the EVF is awful compared to the OVF of my 5D2.
The image has a way too high contrast, literally burned compared to the main screen.

Tell me there is a process to adjust the contrast, or a firmware update, at least an explanation… something  :'(  or I send back the nex-7 and keep my nex-5. And I will be sorry to do that, but a nex-7 as a second camera, using only the main screen: better choice on the nex-5.

I do not understand.

According to digital visual with an amazing video with the 5n, it's best to use the portrait profile for the 5n:

[url=http://thedigitalvisual.com/autumn-getting-cinematic-with-the-sony-nex-5n-quick-workflow-overview]http://thedigitalvisual.com/autumn-getting-cinematic-with-the-sony-nex-5n-quick-workflow-overview[/url]

His portrait profile is set as follows:

Contrast -3
Color +0
Sharpness -3

Do you think you could compare this profile with the neutral one to see which one is best.