A7sii Stabilization for handheld work

mojo43

Hello, I shoot a lot of handheld work and I have no doubt that the IS in the A7s ii will help stabilze, but I am wondering how people are finding the IS when using vintage lenses (3 axis IS).

Is it worth the upgrade for the IS? Does it take away the micro jitters? I have seen a few tests, but it's really hard to tell. Can I get smoother movements with it?

Thanks in advance,
Joshua

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hello, I shoot a lot of handheld work and I have no doubt that the IS in the A7s ii will help stabilze, but I am wondering how people are finding the IS when using vintage lenses (3 axis IS).

Is it worth the upgrade for the IS? Does it take away the micro jitters? I have seen a few tests, but it's really hard to tell. Can I get smoother movements with it?

It helps a lot. Especially for micro jitter. A major advantage over the A7s is that removes some of the jello effect to because of that. 

While it is great for static shots, movement shots are not as well controlled as with the IBIS from Olympus.  Definitely better than a camera without IBIS though. 

I recently sold off my sony a7s because I wanted the a7sii for the IS for handheld work because I HATED how badly the a7s micro-jitter was pronounced. However, I've seen in recent "test" vids that the 5-axis introduces a lot of warping and an uncanny intermittent jello. I've yet to see a nice demonstration of handheld video on the a7sii. 

IBIS by itself cannot create warping or jello. You might have seen videos with warp stabilization from premiere. 

Have done extensive testing with A7rII that shares the same stabilization as the A7sII and have never seen the effects that you mention. 

Here is one where I compared it to the E-M1:

Here is a test from newsshooter:

And here is another test with a 150mm FF equivalent lens:

Ah you caught me before my edit. I did see some initial jello vids, in fact one of Andrews tests has some weird jello in it. 

OK I believe what you see is the remaining jello from the rolling shutter. Still less than the original A7s since the ibis compensates a bit. 

That's the nice thing about a7rii. In FF the rolling shuttetc is almost half of the a7sii. 

IBIS can create other types of artifacts such as jumpy movement when sensor moves by alot. That's why A7rii/A7sii are less usefull for movement type of shots.