Red Dragon Sensor - 19/20 Stops?

FilmMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Jim from RED, quote:

I'm not quite sure if everyone fully understands what this actually means. This is the 1st time in history that a digital sensor blows away the dynamic range of film... and at a resolution that rivals 65mm. Couple that with 80+ fps at full resolution. Of course you can shoot lower resolution at higher frame rates. Record to a small SSD. REDCODE. Dragon. RED.

Jim

Jim from RED, quote:

I'm not sure where the 21 stops came from but clearly we see a usable 18+ stops of dynamic range. Maybe more given some tweaking. In any event, it is more than any film stock we have ever seen and certainly more than any digital sensor known to man. This is meaningful. :-)

Jim

People are excited on various forums.  Some people have level heads and some have blind devotion.  I am excited up to a point.  Spec wise yea - looks to be incredible.  Price wise NO.  For the Scarlet owners, the upgrade path looks to be around $20000.  That is a lot of money.  How much horsepower does one truly need?   

There could be alot of "Battle Tested" Scarlets for sale at reduced pricing in the near future. Once the Dragon Sensor Trade-in/Upgrade Program gets in full swing, how long before Battle Tested Scarlets become available?  This could put alot of pricing pressure on competitor cameras moving forward.  The sooner the better. 

This Dragon Sensor Upgrade program could put pressure on Scarlet owners too.  If they hold their Scarlets and opt out of the upgrade route, then their camera asset could plummet faster in pricing than realized.  Battle Tested Scarlets most likely will be priced significantly cheaper when/if available.  We've seen this already with Scarlets and the Red MX. 

I doubt Red will hold onto returned Scarlets for a long time as technology is shifting quickly.  Red knows this.  They cleared the older technology Redmx at $4k.  Perhaps battle tested Scarlets will be priced at $4k or even $3k.   Red seems to be ahead of the game and understands the market very well - product wise, pricing wise and psychology wise.

My New Year's resolution is the reprogramming of positive thinking...lol... So I'll just agree on the comment above regarding Battle Tested Scarlet pricing being good:) ...(hopefully!) The MX sensor shot plenty of good movies... However, the elephant in the room will always be the media for me on Red. At 4k, I'd assume anything under at least the 256gb ssd would be a waste of time to invest in? I've never shot on a Red so I don't know.. I know the BMCC is supposed to give you about a half an hour raw on a 256gb ssd at 2.5k resolution, so even then, the next step up for Red is the 512gb ssd... $3900.