GH2 lens question

VFRE

Hi,

I shoot video walk-through tours for real estate.  I have been using my stills camera, Nikon D7000 with a Tokina 11-16 for the video(not happy with noise at low ISO, resolution and aliasing).  I'm looking to purchase a new camera specifically for video, the GH2 and deeply discounted 5D ii are top of my list.  The most important thing for me is a camera that works well in low/poor light.  So, my question...is there a lens for the GH2 that is wide and as fast as the tokina on my D7000?  So I guess I'd need something around 6-7mm for the GH2?  Any recommendations? 
Maybe I'll wait for a GH3 or 5D III...just looking for some of your thoughts.
Thanks,
Chad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote author=VFRE link=topic=227.msg1574#msg1574 date=1327807542]
Hi,

I shoot video walk-through tours for real estate.  I have been using my stills camera, Nikon D7000 with a Tokina 11-16 for the video(not happy with noise at low ISO, resolution and aliasing).  I'm looking to purchase a new camera specifically for video, the GH2 and deeply discounted 5D ii are top of my list.  The most important thing for me is a camera that works well in low/poor light.  So, my question...is there a lens for the GH2 that is wide and as fast as the tokina on my D7000?  So I guess I'd need something around 6-7mm for the GH2?  Any recommendations? 
Maybe I'll wait for a GH3 or 5D III...just looking for some of your thoughts.
Thanks,
Chad
[/quote]

If you shoot video walk through videos for real estate you do not need a camera that excels in low light.  You control that light.  Either buy lighting kits or use available light during sunrise or sunset - this is EXACTLY how the best agents in the world (Beverly Hills, Park City, Aspen, NY, Bellevue) shoot (or hire crews to shoot). 

Second, nothing is stopping you from using the Tokina on the GH2.  The Tokina is 16.5mm wide on your D7000 and 22mm wide on the GH2.  Close.  If you need wider - careful though, some agents get a bad wrap by using distortion to exaggerate room size, could come back to haunt you - Sigma makes a few options, and I am sure there are forum members that could recommend a few other options.

As far as GH2 vs Canon - save your money and go GH2.  Vastly sharper video and you already have a great stills camera with the Nikon D7000.  Spend the money on lighting and glass and tripods.

Take care!

[quote author=P4INKiller link=topic=227.msg1579#msg1579 date=1327843129]
Just thought I'd clarify, the sensor crop in video mode on the GH2 is actually 1.86x, and not 2x.
So your 11-16 would approximately act as a 20.5-29.8.
[/quote]

correct.  my bad.  thanks.

The Panasonic 7-14 f4 will give you a 35mm equivalent range of 14-28 with stills, 13-26 with video, on the GH2, so you can actually get a bit wider than you currently get with the D7000/Tokina combo. It's a really high quality lens, but costs accordingly, almost $900 right now.

For quite a bit cheaper, you can go with the Olympus 9-18 f4-5.6. It's 18-36 for stills/16.75-33.5 for video on the GH2 in 35mm equivalency. It's still a very good lens, is super light and compact, and is closer to $550 new, several hundred dollars cheaper than the Panasonic option. I actually went for this lens instead of the 7-14, and while the 7-14 is no question a better lens, I'm really happy with what I get from the 9-18. You can, of course, use your Tokina, but you won't have AF (I don't know if that matters to you).