4K Leica Video Camera?

FilmMan

Here's a thought:

If a thousand people emailed Leica and requested their new M camera to have a 4K video option, then perhaps Leica would do this? Leica has the video component now. If Canon can disable their 1DX from being a 4K video camera, perhaps Leica can provide the 4K sought after within their camera? Imagine what would happen to Leica sales!

One thing to keep in mind, we don't know how good the video truly is in their M camera. The 1DX costs $7000, the same as the new Leica. Could get interesting. Stay tune.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
leica made one of the greatest super 8 film cameras in the 1970s
the leicina special with an m mount and 10mm and a zoom lens it was tiny and superb piece of engineering i have 3 and they still work never been serviced.

using an existing body dumping the latest stills sensor and sticking a lower resolution sensor using a kodak or dalsa ccd would not be an epic project for them.
clearly they already have live view prototypes for future cameras andrew needs to go fined them at the show and explain to them fuji is bound to do something interesting so trump the future competition

[quote name='FilmMan' timestamp='1348186155' post='18772']
Here's a thought:

If a thousand people emailed Leica and requested their new M camera to have a 4K video option, then perhaps Leica would do this? Leica has the video component now. If Canon can disable their 1DX from being a 4K video camera, perhaps Leica can provide the 4K sought after within their camera? Imagine what would happen to Leica sales!

One thing to keep in mind, we don't know how good the video truly is in their M camera. The 1DX costs $7000, the same as the new Leica. Could get interesting. Stay tune.
[/quote]

I am curious to know where you got the info about the Leica having 4k resolution option. Could you post the link. thanks :-)

[quote name='sanveer' timestamp='1348254630' post='18836']
I am curious to know where you got the info about the Leica having 4k resolution option. Could you post the link. thanks :-)
[/quote]

There [u][b]is not[/b][/u] a 4K option.

If many people (perhaps 1000) emailed/contacted Leica to consider implementing 4K in their new M camera, then perhaps they would? They are offering 1080p MJpeg for their video. Perhaps they could offer 4K instead? The camera is coming out early next year. There may be time for adjustments??? Of course it depends upon the constraints of the camera.

Its a very curious request. Considering, that Leica have just created their first Full HD rangefinder model (please correct me, if I am wrong). I dunno,if they would begin by starting 4k resolution, for film, immediately. Is that even possible?
Have you been reading too much of the Vitaly's Personal Views? Go watch My Fair Lady, or Sound of Music, or some other children's classic. And, stop reading too much into this whole 2k and 4k shit. It not good for you. :P

Sanveer,

Why read when you have video?
Children classics are morbid, Black Plague - Ring around the rosie.
Mary, Mary,Quite contrary. How does your garden grow? - Mary was some kings daughter who had innocent people tortured and beheaded. Humpty Dumpty - was actually a huge canon blown to bits. Yea. Sound of Music Julie was flashing her chest before girls gone wild became popular.

On topic, I was talking with a Camera dealer today. They are trying to figure out if the Leica is 4:2:2, clean hdmi, etc. They thought 4K may be too much for the sensor. I did phone Leica's head office in the US yesterday, they were in the dark on things too (about the current 1080p whether 422, clean hdmi, etc.) and hope to have clarification as people come back from Germany next week. The 1080p from Leica could be a winner. Or it may not be. Only time will tell.

On a business perspective, if 4K was possible, it could make sense for Leica to implement or it may not make sense. People thought Red with their 4K was bull$hit. Was it? How many cameras have they sold? Technology has come along way in the last few years. Do you think Leica doesn't have the capability? Leica is in the business of making money. It all depends upon their focus and what they want to do. BMC is coming out with a raw 2K camera. Kineraw with a 2K camera. Digital Bolex is coming with a camera. JVC has a 4K video camera - too bad it isn't an interchangeable lens format. Sony has a 4K camera. GH3 has an interesting beast. Lot's of competition. To stay competitive and to be noticed you need more than lipstick. Cheers.

hahaha ... i Actually agree, with you.
Actually, I feel, that there is so much technology is outsourced, nowadays, that ANY company, with the right amount of money, can get the work done. Engineers and designers can always be picked up, and the right salary (and lateral), will, almost, always cause corporate migrations.
Therefore, emerging economies, or corporate behemoths, always have an advantage. Namely, deep pockets.
Anyways, I hope Leica can pull off a coup, and manage Better Video (even if its gr8 2k video). They should plan for the Long term. ;)