Sony NEX 5N gets a replacement NEX 5R with apps - could Filmic Pro be coming to a NEX near you?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/sony-nex-5r.jpg[/img]

The NEX 5R is coming on August 28th according to [url="http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-more-nex-5r-pictures/"]Sony Alpha Rumors[/url] - and Sony is finally taking DSLRs into the '10s. This camera features a new app platform (a first on a camera like this).

The camera has WiFi built in and the apps could be more interesting than just a few gimmicky filters, because it is possible Sony may provide a full SDK / dev kit for developers. This would be required if third party apps are planned. But it may also be the case that only Sony will provide apps, with each firmware update.

A dev kit is basically an open door for hackers to improve video functionality, after which we won't call them hackers but developers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
(Long time lurker, just signed up)! The new 5 looks like a step in the right direction. Snapseed on camera could be amazing given all the info that sensor would get. I can imagine Facebook creating a dedicated photo uploader as well (for better or worse). I just hope the first batch of these avoids the early models of the 5N with the misterious clicking etc.

Hopefully it wont be a 600/650D issuewith minor upgrades and a huge price difference. Sonys current batch of SLT and NEX cameras are fantastic, I hope it continues!

I struck up a long conversation with a Panasonic rep at a film festival in May, and I urged him to suggest that they put a liability waiver on the box and release a truly open-source camera (i.e. the GH3). I am sure that I am not the first person to suggest this to them, but the folks at Panasonic were interested enough to call me a couple of times talk about it. I didn't get a sense of whether they will be doing this with the GH3 (or at all), but either way it looks like Sony has beaten them to the punch!

• Administrators
[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1345557947' post='16128']
yippie! the layout is largely the same meaning the housings i have been creating wont need much modification to accept this new model! I was dreading to see a horribe rework of the shape liek thay have done with that ugly nex f3
[/quote]

I think the NEX F3 is ugly too. NEX 5N much nicer, as is 5R.

• Administrators
[quote name='QuickHitRecord' timestamp='1345559074' post='16129']
I struck up a long conversation with a Panasonic rep at a film festival in May, and I urged him to suggest that they put a liability waiver on the box and release a truly open-source camera (i.e. the GH3). I am sure that I am not the first person to suggest this to them, but the folks at Panasonic were interested enough to call me a couple of times talk about it. I didn't get a sense of whether they will be doing this with the GH3 (or at all), but either way it looks like Sony has beaten them to the punch!
[/quote]

That's interesting. I think it is necessary for Panasonic to stop the hack project and provide us the features themselves, it is much less risky and better for us.

The reason the apps are so great is because it encourages developers (not just hackers) to make proper apps with plenty of functionality. Imagine what the talented guys at Magic Lantern could do with an SDK?