Latest GH2 hack unlocks stunning ISO 12,800 with film-like grain

Andrew Reid

Guest patrick
[html]

Gorgeous footage. Absolutely reminds me of 50s and 60s French nouvelle vague cinema. Godard or Resnais. Would be a useful setting for the look even without the benefit of 12,000 ISO nightvision! Thanks for testing it out and posting.

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Reinout
[html]

Thanks for the feedback Andrew!
Not sure tough, if this makes my choice harder or easier. And I mean that in the sense that I was starting at the point where the FS100 was the logical choice (small, modular, unique ergonomics and great sensitivity, with pro audio & controls) and the GH2 was a shadowy option I didn’t really give serious thought, to the point now that I swing between seriously doubting between the two (harder) and flat-out thinking the GH2 is the way to go (easier)…

I’m now working with a HMC-151, and recently did a joint project with a GH2. Intercutting the footage was tough because the GH2 (with 14-140mm kit) looked so much cleaner, sharper, with stronger colors and great DOF.

Reading Andrew Reid’s book is not really doing the FS100′ chances any good either, but it’s tough to make a choice about equipment you survive on professionally. Either way, I’ll definitely improve my equipment, coming from the HMC-151 (which still rocks as an ENG camera BTW)

[/html]

Guest charleslim
[html]

The GH2 allows a sort of new cinema . Very rersonal, perhaps ‘chris marker’ direction with no compromise to visual, for weight and size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKOJUgTqFtY

artist merging live with cinema making.
Which is not reality TV

[/html]

Guest Big_Car_Killa
[html]

Hey Andrew,

As above, is it possible for the sake of experimentation, to see footage in colour? It’s got me rather interested!!!

Cheers bud!

[/html]

Guest ji hoonyoon
[html]

Possibly a detailed highlight blowout/ low light high ISO noise test for the GH2 with hack, 600D with ML hack and neg Q-scale with high bitrate, and Nex 5n? That would be sickk.

[/html]

[html]

A this link:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-patch-vault-most-popular-patches-in-one-place?Sort=newest

sort posts by “newest”, the second you get is Driftwood’s latest AQuarium version2 . You have to register first.

[/html]

Guest AndrewP
[html]

Hey Andrew,
You mentioned Sensor Scaling as #3 reason and I agree with the assumption but how do you learn about this very important feature as it relates to other cameras on the market, I never see this info mentioned on manufacturer’s website. I’m curious how the NEX 7 and 5N use their sensors in video mode. Having (physically) larger sensors, it would be bonus if they scaled to 1080p also.

[/html]

Guest apostolosn
[html]

Why don’t you post some of the footage in color so you can satisfy our curiosity about color noise, etc? How do you like then Nokton lens? And how about that SLR Magic? What are the prices on that. I’ve heard all sorts of bad things about those Chinese CCTV lenses.

[/html]

Guest MacroTiger
[html]

I have to agree…I hav a gh2 and like it…but no way is it up to 16mm B&W film beauty.
I think this ISO thing is good but probably won’t be used much by me for my up-coming
feature… I plan to shoot w gh2 + bolex 16mm bw + a days worth in RED scarlet
I’m looking for high contrast w/o digital artifacts and great color (thats where the scarlet comes in).
However, good job hackers!!! keep up good work…wd love it if this camera cd do 422 10bit
Sincerely, MacroTiger

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

With 16mm film on this shoot, the dancing ambient light wouldn’t be there, the picture would also be pitch black. More beautiful?

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

Type SLR Magic 12mm in the search box, I’ve reviewed it. It is a great lens, not based on a CCTV optic like so many claim. They’re just…. wrong! Voigtlander Nokton is superb, I recommend both.

[/html]

[html]

Hi andrew, and other [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/img] .

I want to ask you if when you recommend to put the N/R to OFF, it’s you’re mean -2, or 0 setting?

i noticed you are victim like me of the horizontal banding issue in some shoot… It’s a general problem on GH2, or a replacement can correct it?

Thanks by advance!

[/html]

Guest johntwigt
[html]

I shot some footage in 10.000 ASA at night. Amazing results I think, this high sensitivity opens up all kinds of possibilities for documentary shooting.

http://vimeo.com/32204670

[/html]

[html]

Is it possible to unlock low iso’s as well
or is this beyond the ability of the hardware.

would certainly be usefull to be able to shoot
with fast lenses wide open in daylight

[/html]

Guest johntwigt
[html]

That would be very very useful, like ISO 50 or something or even ISO 25 ! Don’t know if that would be possible, since the higher ISO’s for the film mode were already available in photo mode , so that probably meant that the hack sort of ‘unlocked’ this feature and not created it. Nevertheless it would be great.

[/html]