Latest GH2 hack unlocks stunning ISO 12,800 with film-like grain

Andrew Reid

Guest IsleOfRed
[html]

@ Perry Morris Jr., that theme isn’t a Quentin Tarantino, its Bernard Herrmann for the movie Twisted Nerve. But other than that, I’m with you, I do wish to see a full feature film released in cinema chains that was shot on the GH2.

@ Lucas, what kind of film is it?

@ Andrew, do you have any plans to shoot a feature film any time soon?

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[html]

Andrew I LOVE the look of your film! Can’t believe you can get this look from the GH2!
It has a very organic look IMO and I want to learn how to get that look myself.

[/html]

[html]

Arc: Do your own custom separation on gop1 footage (it grades beautifully!) if you don’t like the existing one.
I don’t see anything video about the gh2 as it is now, unless you actually want to shoot video-like images..

[/html]

Guest FelixNZ
[html]

I believe the term to use here is “Fanboy” Such people think a Canon DSLR looks more filmic that 16mm film, and espouse the quality of unreleased cameras that they have no experience with, “Just knowing” that they’ll be far superior to any of the unwashed lower class brand devices.

[/html]

Guest JohnnyMossville
[html]

disneytoy, you probably found it by now, and I’m not near my PC, but it’s in one of the top two selection boxes in Ptools. Open those up and you’ll see it there. Just check it on.

[/html]

Guest Andrew Reid
[html]

It is Bernard Herrmann but it is on the Kill Bill sound track and most people know it from that.

Feature… of course. In Berlin probably next summer.

[/html]

Guest camera_sandy
[html]

Brilliant. u guys r right. maybe people will suddenly hav thoughts bout the Canon 1Dx and the GH3 … [img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[/html]

Guest charleslim
[html]

Hey Andrew nice video – One thing we cannot get away the less light the less color detail.
After bumming for months on the RED epic. I have been titching to fire up my GH2 again,
Been searching for driftwood’s recipe. Can someone please point me north to the driftwood pole?

[/html]

Guest Reinout
[html]

Just a few weeks away from my intended purchase of the FS100 and now all these enhancements for the GH2 come out! High ISO, intra-codec, even official firmware update, not to mention I can now get the GH2 plus 14-140mm for € 900,-… That’s like € 4000,- cheaper than the FS100!!
Of course that would mean no XLR, less easy controls, 30 min. rec. limit, etc… but MAN, GH2 puts up a serious fight in my mind right now!

[/html]

Guest Andrew David Clark
[html]

Incredible footage. Would love to see some colour trial at lower ISOs that presumably would still be much better than previous low light colour performance.

Reniout – I’ve got a short film coming out soon that was filmed on the F3 (first week of it’s release back in April, so no S-Log or Nanoflash) and GH2. With all the recent hacks on the GH2 I could have gotten just a good a result if I’d shot the whole thing on that. No doubt. I can’t say the same for the Cannon’s because I would have had aliasing and moire issues due to the interiors I was filming.
The F3 is really heavy when it’s rigged for hand held so a comparably rigged GH2 would have been easier (ergo, better) to shoot on. I’d have saved lots of time.
I bought a GH2 the other day after waiting for the 5DMIII announcement and reading Andrew Reids GH2 book. All the answers I needed are in that book.

For the money I believe it’s the best camera solution south of the F3 or new Red. And I’m talking broadcast here. I can shoot news at high bit rate using the 14-140 kit lens. And with the hack, a Voigtlander 25mm .95 and the SLR Magic 12mm F1.6 Andrew shot with there you really could go out and shoot a movie that could play in cinemas. Gareth Edwards shot ‘Monsters’ with an EX3 and a Letus/lenses straight to memory card and that got a cinema release. In terms of kit the GH2 is more capable.

After seeing that footage my next narrative project will be entirely shot at night. I mean, just look at that footage above. It really does look different. It looks like night time. But during the day!

[/html]