Wide Angle Converters

Guest 7e6447487d3b1de7d888f9037537cd9a

Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

Has anyone tried wide angle converter lenses to get a wider FOV on the BMPCC? Anyone know of any half-decent ones?

My Tokina 11-16 with MFT speed booster is great, but I'd like to have a few cheap, pocketable lenses as well. I'm going to buy the Panny 14mm 2.5. There aren't many cheap wider options at all though. I'm considering trying a wide angle converter with the 14mm. I don't mind if it gives a bit of "character" to the image, but I'd rather it wasn't too soft in the centre. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've decided to try getting along without a wideangle converter, including the Speed Booster for BMPCC, at least for now. I'd rather use lenses without any converters, if that's feasible. The wide side of things becomes a bit of a problem then, for sure, and with not too many great solutions.

I've considered (but not yet bought) the Samyang 2.8/10mm lens. I'd rather have a CINE version, whenever one is available. That would give me the equivalent field of view of a 28mm lens in the 35mm terms, which I find more or less adequate. The lens itself is not too big, either.

I might get the Canon EF version instead of the mFT version, though, because apparently the lens itself has no thread for filters, and the EF version would make it possible to use either a Holy Manta variable ND filter adapter or a Speed Booster BMPCC adapter with it. The Speed Booster would give me a 2.0/20mm equivalent wideangle. Not bad.

Although the mFT version alone would be much more compact and 'pocketable,' and requires no extra adapters and lenses between the sensor and the lens, which I like. But the lens has no filter thread, which limits its usability with the BMPCC.

Well, that's another interesting but not ideal option for the wider angle dilemma. I'll write about my hands on experiences if I end up buying one. Suppose going for the wider C-mount lenses could be yet another approach worth looking into.

• 2 months later...

Check out the Panasonic DMC-GWC1 Wide Conversion Lens, I have one that I put on my Panasonic 14mm pancake for when I want an ultra small set up on my glidecam (because I too have a Tokina 11-16mm and a focal reducer, but that is one beefy combo!).