NEX lens on A7s

DDagg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yes it will work great for video.  You'll lose a little of the low light capabilities, but not much.   but for stills the a7s in aps-c mode is a very low mpx count by normal standards

You might find (as a previous forum member has shown that using the digital zoom mode while in full frame means you can obtain slightly bigger image circle than aps-c.  

Thank you Richg101. I want to buy the A7s but do not want to invest in new lenses at this time. You mentioned I will lose pixels for stills but do I lose them for video as well. Confused as to how that works. I am interested in this camera for video, stills are not important to me. Also, How will the 1080p mode in APS-C with my NEX lens compare to 1080 footage on the 5Dmark 3 and a GH4. i really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Not really for video. For video in APS-C mode the camera downsamples 2.8K to HD instead of the whole 4K sensor to HD like it does in FF mode. The results are still very good and there is not much of a visual loss in quality if any at all. The video coming out of the A7s is very good. There are some complaints about the colors especially if using slog-2 and s-gamut. There have also been reports of highlight aliasing. I feel the color issues are mainly due to working with the slog-2 and that they will get addressed in time.

Thanks dhessel. I have been told that cropping to APS-C on this full frame camera defeats the purpose. If the A6000 had the same codec with 50mbp would the A7s quality in APS-C be the same or still better. I do not mind spending more money if it is better quality. What about the new A5100 with the advanced codec. I could buy that for $500.00 and put my Zeiss 24mm 1.8 on that. Appreciate you opinion.

the A7S is beyond anything else in it's price range.  even in Aps-c mode it outdoes all in its price point.  it's not just the codec.  I bet the a7s shooting avchd will outdo the a5100 in xavc mode.  it's everything about the camera that makes it so good.  the full sensor readout is something the a6000 and the a5100 don't do.  evf built in, audio input and output, s-log2, etc.

your 24mm on aps-c mode will be a stellar combination similar to the look of the 35mm f2.8 zeiss full frame e-mount lens. 

thanks richg101. I appreciate your professional opinion. I was just scared that I was mixing 2 things that were not going to give me what I hoped they would. I really can't spend more than $2500 right now. That is why I really wanted to use my current lens. My options were the A7s body alone or the GH4 with kit lens. I can see you are a real fan of the A7s.