Panasonic GH3 - What else to buy?

Mozim

Hey, 

I'm about to pull the trigger and finally order a Panasonic GH3. I've already read the GH3 Shooter's Guide (Thanks Andrew!) and somewhat know what to expect, but I'm still not 100% convinced to make the switch from Canon to the MFT system. 

What's still holding me back is that I would like to hold on to my Canon lenses for photography. I shoot lots of action stuff and I doubt that the MFT system will be an improvement over my Canon stuff for that, so I'd like to hold on to my Canon equipment for now. Ideally I'd love to order a GH3 + the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 and use an EF to MFT-Speedbooster but it doesn't exist yet so I'm still a bit on the fence. 

Anyways, I'd like to order a GH3 and play around with if for a bit. Now I don't want to invest a ton of money yet, so I'm looking for some lens suggestions. Is there a good and affordable MFT lens that I should pick up in addition to the GH3? I'm looking for a moderately wide to standard focal length, so I guess anything between 15mm and 30mm should work? 

Any other cheap lenses I should get to play around with the GH3? I'll pick up a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 or the Panasonic 45mm f/1.8 but they will be too long for normal stuff... For what it's worth, the 14-140mm kit lens is an additional 400€ and the 12-35mm f/2.8 lens is an additional 850€... so I won't get any of the kit options. 

Also, how long does a battery last when shooting video? Can I access the battery compartment when the camera is attached to a video tripod? 

Thanks a ton in advance!

-Moritz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 sounds like a good lens for your needs. The Panasonic 14mm is worth considering if you want something cheaper.

The battery should last a good three to four hours shooting video. Unfortunately, the battery compartment can't be accessed when the camera is mounted on a tripod.

Thanks Chrad!

The 20mm f/1.7 sounds like a good option to start with, although I'm somewhat concerned about the size of the lens. Is the lens really as tiny as it looks? Are you actually able to properly use the focus ring? Either way it might be a good option to have a Pancake lens to have a very portable option. 

The 14mm is another option that I looked into, there's good deals to be had in combination with a GF3, sometimes even cheaper than the lens itself. I might pick one up, too. 

Any manual options that are cheap and easily accessible? Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 sounds like a great option, so I'm looking for something comparable in terms of price and quality but with a shorter focal length. 

I actually just ordered the GH3 with some spare batteries and I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Canon stuff... now all I need is some lenses, so any help is appreciated! Thanks!