Variable close up lens

DanielBroadley

Hey, so this is my first post, I've just entered the whole DIY budget anamorphic scene, I recently managed to get my hands on the 1.5x isco widescreen 2000 for a good price and it's actually a really nice image... But as we all know the focussing (or lack of) is a pain, it has a small throw which you can do with the taking lens but not enough to allow any sort of freedom. Obviously the solution is a rangefinder or fm module but I like to get creative before I empty my pockets.

I realise that those expensive solutions are just variable diopters and it seemed odd to me that no one has needed this kind of solution before in the history of focussing lenses (anamorphic or not) so I searched a few different terms and found that something like it does/did exist!

variable close up lens - http://ebay.to/1Os2ORH

This wouldn't do the job for me but there must be more like it and perhaps with a longer focus throw? Anyone know any more about this or had similar thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I realise that those expensive solutions are just variable diopters and it seemed odd to me that no one has needed this kind of solution before in the history of focussing lenses (anamorphic or not) so I searched a few different terms and found that something like it does/did exist!

It was the solution used by Iscoramas, so it's not something that hasn't been used before, it's something that was always a great hit, but protected by patent laws.

Plus, the random variable diopters you'll find on ebay ought to be waaaay to strong for what you need. Usually, people who want diopters don't like them low powered, that's just an anamorphic requirement. I'd suggest you get a cheap +0.5 (there are some for $50 on ebay, if I remember it right), and a regular chinese kit (+1, +2, +4) of 72mm diameter. That will give you freedom enough to play.

Also, you're gonna need to attach threads to the front of your Isco 2000. I haven't shot this video yet, but the process is SO SIMPLE that you can get it from my Instagram. Just tape a 67-72mm step ring, the 67mm side will be already pretty close to the diameter of the Isco 2000.

Hey Tito, where did you get the back clamp from, as i really need something like this for mine.

Dan, i've been using this lens with the BMPCC & it has surprised me, as i'd given up on it completely but gave it one more try.

To get decent results, you'll need a low powered diopter (i've been using a +0.25 & a +0.4) & you'll need to stop down to about f4-ish. You can rack or focus through, but you'll only really get a 1-2m window that is useable. Also, you'll need a taking lens that has a decent focus throw - by this i mean you don't want a lens that has the distances too close together, especially around the 5m mark.

Sorry man, this one came with it, it fit like a glove and had no hints of who manufactured it... Ended up selling it along the lens too. The quality reminded me of Redstan, but I never got to ask.

Yeah, Redstan used to do one, but he keeps trying to sell me stuff that probably won't fit/work - got something that works, so the search will go on!

Yeah, Redstan used to do one, but he keeps trying to sell me stuff that probably won't fit/work - got something that works, so the search will go on!

I didn't even notice that clamp,  you're right, I thought mine was snug but that thing is as close it gets. Let me know if you even do find one like that, would be nice to tidy mine up with one